Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LA Bass Exchange

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by r_simonini, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Has the LA Bass Exchange closed for good or have they moved? Anyone know?
    Ross

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't know...but I don't see any signs of them coming back, its a damn waste though...I loved that place. Got my fodera there.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They are gone for good, my friends.

Here's a letter that Long sent out about the situation:
    That letter was originally posted on Carol Kaye's website. A while after this I was curious as to how things were going with Long so I emailed him and he had this to say:

Sounds like he's persevering despite the BS. That's pretty much the story and current status of LA Bass Exchange. As far as whether or not it's going to open again...sounds like it's pretty damn closed to me. Sorry the post was so long!

brad cook

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks for the informative post, Brad.

Bum deal for Long. I've never bought anything from LABX but know several that have. But I did spend a lot of time checking their website.

It's kind of surprising that someone hasn't jumped in to fill the void, in the LA area. You'd think that the market would be good there.

5. Someone kinda has jumped in. Sam Ash Pro across from GC Hollywood has turned into a Pro Guitar/Bass store, carrying an array of Fodera, Ken Smith, etc.

Sam Ash carrying Fodera, go figure.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Actually, Sam Ash is the place that I played my first Fodera.

7. I noticed. Last time I as in there they had some quality basses. I was shocked. Not many great amps but I got to play the Anthony Jackson Contrabass which is never available in stores.:D
    too bad about la bass exchange. Anyone know any good stores in la that carry high end amps
    (aguilar, bag end, etc.)

Ross

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Sam Ash, eh? Not the same character as the independents like BassNW, Bass Central, Bass Alone...etc.

I wonder if they are going to have a website devoted to that store.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What space did they take in Hollywood? The Carvin store, or that Mexican guitar store?

10. It's actually down the street another 2 or 3 doors from that Munji. I have no idea what used to be there.