Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

La Bella 760N String Lengths

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mzh000, Oct 15, 2004.

1. mzh000

mzh000

Oct 15, 2004
    Los Altos, CA
    Has anyone strung La Bella 760N nylon tapewound strings on a Carvin XB76P bass? I'm concerned about the strings lengths. La Bella offers a "Extra Long" version of the 760N. Do I need to get those or will the regular set fit?

I need length dimensions from the ball end to the start of the silk for each string. In particular, the high C and low B are a concern, since the tuning pegs for these are closest to the nut. The strings have to be long enough so that the silk clears the nut, but not too long so that I don't run out of silk when winding the strings to the tuning peg (avoid widing the wound part of the string to prevent possible breakage). As I measure it, the string has to be at least 37" from ball to silk to clear the nut on a XB (35.25" from bridge to nut, plus 1.75" from ball to bridge). The string can't be more than 39" from ball to silk in order to not run out of silk on the tuning peg for the high C or low B.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

2. mzh000

mzh000

Oct 15, 2004
    Los Altos, CA
    Answering my own question. Yes, I need the extra long 760N-EXL for the Carvin XB76P. They are about 38" from ball to silk, so fit perfectly. The regular length 760N B and E stings are too short (about 36" ball to silk). The 760N-EXL strings are hard to find. JustStrings has them, but it turns out that the 5-string La Bella tapewound set that Carvin sells is the EXL version, and their price is much cheaper. It's even cheaper to get a 6 string set by ordering the 5 string set from Carvin and the high C string single elsewhere (JustStrings, BigCity) than it is to order just a 5 string set elsewhere! And the regular length high C fits the XB.

Also, see my other post on making tapewounds work with peizos.