Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

la bella 7720

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by shwashwa, Jun 29, 2004.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    any feedback on these strings? i searched the archives and found nothing. i know miroslav gets a nice sound with them, as well as harvie swartz.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    They're available in two gauges.
    They are bright strings, with a growly sound. (too much for my taste)
    Vitous once told he was using them because they sound very bright, and his bass is very dark. (he gets a good balance this way)
    I'm not sure Harvie S still uses the 7720 though!
    I think he uses gut since a few years now.

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i'm quite positive that harvie still uses these strings. i see him fairly regularly and i've asked him what he uses... i also once asked him what he thinks about gut strings and he said they makes him want to vomit!

4. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Mike Richmond endorses and plays La Bella 7720 mediums. They are equivalent to Spirocore orchestra in gauge, the lites are between Weichs and solo. They sound great played by Mike, but then his bass is a beautiful old Italian whose top resonates when you give it a soulful look. I used them on my BSX stick where they worked well, but when I put them on my Kay they felt stiff, and the sound lacked character. IMHO they are an inferior take on the spirocore style. BTW Lemur lists them under electric uprite.

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    yes, they sound great on mikes bass, but they feel alittle stiff. i think he uses mediums. i also think he plays a 100 year old german bass that has been in 2 car accidents...

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Ok so I bought a set to try out and well... they're different.

Very growly, especially E, and low tension. I liked the A & D strings. G sounds a little wimpy. Not much prescence/tone/volume. E had much more of a rubbery feel than the rest of the strings. Told my teach' I got some and he poo poo'ed them. Said that they don't make 'em like they used to and some of the strings in the set (I forget which) suck.

And if you're comparing them to how Ron Carter uses them, remember that he tunes to ADGC and that probably affects his tone. Maybe it sounds better up higher. I didn't try it.

I'm running Corelli's now and I like them. A little bit on the bright side as well. Gonna try Spiro weich's next. I'll start grimacing at the pain now. :bawl: :D

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You shouldn't experience much pain with the Weichs, unless your setup is really high. They're pretty friendly, at least until you bust out the bow.

8. Ditto.
    We're talking about the Kay that he uses with Eye Contact.

9. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    My teacher, John Adams, plays the 7720s on his 70 year old carved Czech bass and they sound great. Of course John's playing has a great deal to do with it but they still sound good on his bass even with me playing it.

I can tell by the feel that they are more flatly wound than my Obligatos. (I love the Obligatos by the way) I may try the 7720’s when the Obligatos die but that should be several months out.

John has played with some big names and endorses La Bella. Check him out at www.congruentmusic.com. :)

10. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    After I read your reply, I emailed Harvie about this and here's his answer:

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    ahh good old harvie. so he is using the 7720's which is what i said. if i remember correctly he said he's "addicted" to them. as for the gut comment, that's 100% true. if you know him you know him to be eccentric as well. i have a member of eye contact as my witness to that quote. he will swear to it, but i wish to keep his name out of this. just believe me, not that it makes all that much difference. i believe at the time he said the "vomit" quote he also said "what is this, the flintstones?" referring to gut. kind of strange that you would ask him about the vomit reference though... i guess he either felt put on the spot or just didnt remember. he said it off the cuff.

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    C'mon, Harvie, vomit with me now, don't be shy.

13. And isn't Eye Contact one hell of a band?

I'm unclear as to what the 7220 construction is. Is it real gut with a synthetic material winding? Is it synthetic gut? This may be the only string I've never used. Well, not quite.

14. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Steel on steel rope-core. The most common type of bass string construction nowadays.

15. I was sitting in and I think the bassist said his strings were LaBella. They were black. Does that sound right?

16. They might have been Labella 7710s which are black nylon tape-wound rope core. I have a set on one of my basses - they sound nice, but are absolute garbage as far as arco is concerned (I should have stayed with the Obligatos) - perhaps I'll try the 7720s…

- Wil

17. I talked with Harvie at some length, and I recall that when he was telling me about LaBella, I observed his strings were black.

OK, folks, watch this:
    Francois, I challenge you to tell me the tension of a set of 7710s and 7720s.

18. Er, um - African or European?

- Wil

19. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    eye contact is a great band. i must brag alittle and say that 2 members of eye contact are also members of my working quartet. one of them has been with me since 1990, and the other is newer, but the music we make, having been playing regularly for so long, is just a pure joy to experience. it also makes my head swell when one of them occasionally pays me a compliment, because i know the calibur of bass player they're used to working with....

20. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Who? :)
    No idea! These numbers are not published anywhere I looked at!

Harvie was using the 7710 (black nylon) on his Merchant EUB, many years ago.
    He sold it, AFAIK.