1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

La Bella Black Nylon Substitute for Stingray

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Laurent, May 15, 2015.

1. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I have been playing La Bella Black Nylon strings on a Stingray for a while but I am getting a lot of ground noise because of the fact that these strings are non conductive. Nothing is wrong with the bass, the minute I put conductive strings on it or touch the bridge the noise goes away. I really like the thump I am getting out of these strings and how nicely they pair with my Stingray classic (ash body natural, flamed maple neck both made out of a single piece of wood). The noise just got to me and I have to find another solution!

Here is my question, what strings would feel and sound close to the La Bella's and be conductive?
    Many thanks for the insight.

Note I have tried pretty much every flatwound string on the market except Labella flatwound, Pyramid, Sadowski and GHS flats. I have some GHS on the way to test out.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Well no tapewounds are gonna be conductive. Flats of your choice would really be the only option for a similar sound.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I like GHS flats on my SR Classic. Would like to try the Sadowskys as well someday.

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Yes, I believe just about all of us are thinking light gauge GHS Precision Flats, if you need the tone and the bridge ground. Or go the other way like I did: Full EMG active treatment that does not need a bridge ground. It really opened up the tone, dropped the noise floor to below 100 dB, and my sound man loves it through our new digital servo board.

5. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    What's the EMG active treatment? You replace the preamp with EMG's preamp? This is a Stingray Classic, does the EMG comes as a two band?

Also anyone with experience with the GHS Brite Flat strings? I've read the E and A strings don't sound right on that set. Bright would theoretically take me further away from the Black Nylon tone but one never knows with strings!

6. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    It's not the preamp. It's the pickups. You replace the stock pickup, which is a conventional high-Z passive grounded pickup, with the EMG active pickup that doesn't need a bridge ground, like one of these:
    EMG Pickups / Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups

This warning is in every EMG active pickup: "IMPORTANT: EMG Active pickups do not require a string ground wire! DO NOT Reconnect the string ground, it is unnecessary."

7. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Got it. Thanks for the info. The bass currently has a SD alnico on it.