La Bella Copper White Nylon - Incredibly Low Volume?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jan 6, 2018.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'm still trying new strings to see if there's a contender for my TI's, so I bought some La Bella Copper White Nylon. I put the E on and the volume compared to the A, D & G TI's that were still on the bass was astoundingly LOW. It had about half the volume.

Sustain was fine, but I just couldn't believe the difference. I made sure the string wasn't twisted and that wasn't it.

I don't think they're for me anyway. I didn't like the overall tone and feel and am sticking with my TI's. But I want to sell them since I don't need them and it's a brand new set, but I want to make sure that there isn't something wrong with the E before I do that.

Thoughts?

2. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I had the same thing happen on a Squier VM Fretless. In my case I did like the feel, but the low output made it feel like it wasn't even trying. I put Fender flats on and it made a huge difference.

fourstringdrums likes this.
  3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    So it may just be how the strings are?

4. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    In my case, yes. Others I'm sure have had different experiences with them. I wanted to like them, and I kind of did, but they always felt like something was a little off, and in my case the difference between the LaBellas and the Fenders was sort of like driving a car and not being impressed with how it's driving, and then realizing the parking brake was on.

fourstringdrums likes this.
  5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Good analogy.

wildman2 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021