1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

La Bella Deep talker's on a MIM P-Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheGreatSealof, Nov 15, 2010.

1. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    Are the Jamerson La Bella strings safe to use on a MIM P-Bass?

2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Funny you ask. I recently put a new set of flats on my MIM P-Bass -- not as heavy a set as the Jamersons but still higher tension than what I'd been using previously -- and shortly thereafter the nut broke. I guess I'd worry a little about that with the Jamersons given their extremely high tension.

On the other hand, it's not that big a deal if it happens: It didn't cost me much to have (what was left of) the cheap plastic nut replaced with a bone one.

3. mario222

mario222

Dec 12, 2007
    I've had Roto heavy gauge(50-110) flats on my MIM p for 2 years now. No problems.

4. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    Thanks for the info. I have heard so many different scenarios, especially with MIM p-bass. Nut crackers, neck warping, etc. I want that "sound" but I don't want to kill my p-bass. I'm conflicted.

5. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Neck warping shouldn't be a concern; you might have to adjust the truss rod a bit, but it wouldn't cause any damage to the neck. I think the only potential problem is the nut breaking, and that plastic nut will probably break some day anyway: The Jamersons just might increase the odds a bit of it happening sooner rather than later. If you really are sure you want those strings, I say go for it, and if you wind up having to replace the nut it's no biggie.

Also, in trying to get "that sound," you might consider replacing the pups in the bass. I put a set of '62 reissues in mine and it's a growly beast now.

6. That's like asking if snow tires are safe to put on a 4WD truck.
    :D

7. silvertones

silvertones

Apr 19, 2010
    I have Jamerson's on my SX P bass. Now you have to file the nut to accommodate that large gauge.Then It took about a half turn on the rod to compensate. Then those bad boys were killing my fingers so I wanted to get the action down and had to shim the neck to get it down were I needed it.The intonation on the E required moving the saddle all the way back. So be prepared.I now have it set up perfect and they sound awesome. Just like my bass of 40 years ago.