Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

La Bella Deep Talkin' Length

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jack, May 28, 2005.

1. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Hi, I wanted to try the La Bella flats, I usually use the Deep Talkin rounds for my Pbass. The rounds just come in different gauges, but the flats in different lengths as well, there is no standard scale, just short, medium, long and extra long. I would have just bought medium, but I know sometimes this is 32", and rotosound class 34" as long and 35-36 extra long.

Any ideas as to which is right for my 34" scale precision? Should I just buy long or extra long and cut them down?

Thanks, Jack.

2. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I don't know if my experience will help you but here goes:

I tried deep talkin's on a 32" scale bass. Bought mediums and they were too short! I guess they'd fit on a 30.75" scale or something but the silk was down past the nut on my 32".

I then bought a long scale set. On the E string, silk fell past the tuner post, and the bare string wrapped the post about 1/2 turn. The string snapped when I tried to bring up to E. :scowl:

It's safe to say the medium scale set will be too short on a 34" bass.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Long is the standard for 34" instruments (unless they are string through). I use La Bella flats on one of my Ps. Sound great. What gauge are you planning on getting? Be warned there is a huge difference between the lights and the standard, way more than the size would imply.

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    My P is string through bridge.

I was going to go for whichever one has a E of 104 (the lights?) I hear people say that with the flats the bigger gauges have a floppy E string, which is one of my biggest pet hates.

So it looks like im for the longs?

5. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Except maybe for TIs, you are not going to find floppy E strings with flats :confused: Flats tend to be higher tension than rounds.

The 104 is the light. Highly recommended for that Motown style sound. Much lower tension than the standard. Have you even tried chromes? I would say the chromes are in between the La Bella lights and standards.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    If common opinion says that people are happy with the heavier gauges, then my favourite gauge is usually 45 65 80 105. So thats the standard flats.

Also there is the medium, at 49 69 89 109. Would that be better? I play rock, ranging from RHCP to Metallica. (Yeah, thats a narrow range of styles and sounds :eyebrow: )

Jack.

7. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That is a hard call to make until you have tried them. For rock I actually prefer the chromes since they are a bit brighter. They are not as smooth as the La Bella nor as thumpy. I have used the La Bella's for rock though.

I have never tried the mediums, so I can't help.

Strings are hard because you cannot try them in advance. It would really help if you could try flats on somebodies bass.

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ive played flats before, basses in stores, friends basses etc etc. I wouldnt really describe my sound as bright, its more agressive, with deep lows. My only real concern is that the flats wont be 'growly' enough (Im turning into Nick! :D ) And now I see they have reduced the rounds. :eyebrow:

9. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I wouldn't call flats growly. And bright is relative. Really bright flats will be less bright than rounds.

10. MustangBob

MustangBob

May 30, 2005
    I use the Labella Deep Talkin bass number 760N on my short scale Mustang Bass. The sound great and I have never broken a string due to using long scale lenght. The low E is almost completely using the string not the silk end and I have not broken it. I also used the Labella strings on my P-Bass and Roscoe bass with no problems.
    I use a pick because I migrated to a bass after playing the regular guitar for years.

11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Then I think I might just stick with rounds for now, especially since theyve gone down in price slightly.

Thanks for all your help.