La Bella Low Tension Flats / Dunlop Super Brights

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SteC, Nov 4, 2017.

1. SteC

SteC

Mar 20, 2012
    New York
    How's it going!

Bit of an odd comparison maybe but I'm wondering how the tension compares. I currently play a Dunlop Super Bright Nickels 40-100 and I'm wondering how the tension compares to the La Bella Low Tension Flats. I like he DRs but I'm hoping the La Bellas will have a little more tension.

Any other comparisons are helpful! Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I never play DR super bright string but been use DR Lo Rider Nickel and stainless steel previously.

I put a set of LTF-4A on my previous Squier CV50P , tone is instant broke in and well balance tone from string to string, tone is close to DR legend and GHS M3050 more than broke in Labella 760FL.
    About the tension and stiffness , LTF is more a like Fender 7250 ML 45.65.80.100. Tighter on both D and G string than E and A. The overall stiffness is sit in betwwen TIJF344 and Sadowsky BL 40-100.

Hopehelp.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

DR Super Brights? Do you mean Dunlop Super Brights?

4. SteC

SteC

Mar 20, 2012
    New York
    Yes Dunlop Super Brights! My bad haha

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  5. WindyCityHawk

WindyCityHawk Inactive

Jun 17, 2017
    Just my 2¢

I've been thinking about getting a set of these, but I noticed a slight difference lately...

Earlier (Around June-ish)=

s-l1600.jpg

Current = Slightly heavier gauge A string
    7d6fb85c199e500559764e12d4fd117c.jpg

6. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    La Bella updated the A string a while back. The differences were discussed on a thread here on TB a while back, but I can't seem to find it. IIRC, there wasn't a significant difference in tension.... But I'd search around in the Strings forum for more info if no one chimes in with direct experience.

For what its worth, I have the original set with the 70 A String and have never wished for anything to be different.

7. According to @LaBellaStrings, the increase in the size for the A had something to do with complaints by some users that the 70 was too small for the standard nut slots, resulting in buzzing issues. It has very little to do with the actual tension or playability otherwise.

e-flat likes this.
  8. Here's the actual post by @LaBellaStrings I was referring to:

e-flat likes this.
  9. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I have them on a jazz and pbass. I have TI's on 2 other basses. I love the LTF's they are a little stiffer than the TI's and a little more thumpy. Well balanced super smooth. I play in a blues funk band and they are perfect for that setting. Great strings I have 2 older sets with the 70- A string no problems with any buzzing.

e-flat likes this.
  10. WindyCityHawk

WindyCityHawk Inactive

Jun 17, 2017
    Thank you for the input & info. :)

e-flat likes this.
  11. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I have LaBella's Low Tension Flats on my P Bass and I have some Dunlop Super Brights on the way. I maybe able to answer in a few days...

PawleeP likes this.