La Bella Low Tension Flats on an L-2500

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by easyj, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Did anybody here try La Bella LTF-5A flats on a G&L L-2500?

I am currently using DR Sunbeams .40-.120 on mine. I love them, but I want to try flats. I am concerned with string tension, sound, length (with the string through bridge), the B string. Any info or advice would be appreciated.

2. I don't think you can string LaBella Low Tension Flats thru- body.

Root 5 likes this.
  3. I didn’t know that stringing them through the body would be a problem. Thanks, that is helpful information.

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'm using the ti flats on my L2000 and the tone is just incredible
    we put the LTF flats on our early japanese jaguar bass and it's really pushed the tone to the next level of warmth and roundness

5. What kind of lower tension flats could I string through the body on my L-2500?

6. MuffledBoomy

MuffledBoomy

Apr 19, 2017
    Tulsa
    None
    The LaBella Low tensions are very dead strings even brand new. I was surprised by how dead, but I've only ever tried those LaBella low tension, Dunlop tapes, RotoSound flats and Thomastik Jazz flats so far.

quickfix likes this.
  7. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I have them on a jazz, I love them. They are a tad higher tension than TI's which are the lowest tension. They are not string thru body though. I'd check with bassstringsonline. There are a couple sets of flats you string thru the body. I don't find the tone dull at all. great balance and tone.

MuffledBoomy likes this.
  8. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    FWIW, I have a set of LTF's strung thru-body on a P bass. Don't have much playing time in on them as of yet, but no problems so far...

BTW I don't find the LTF's to be dead sounding in any way. To me they are very similar to the 760fl, which is to say they sound like the strings used on hundreds of classic recordings. That may or may not be what you're looking for. I just recently tried LaBellas for the first time and love the sound.

9. MuffledBoomy

MuffledBoomy

Apr 19, 2017
    Tulsa
    None
    p.s. I never said they sound bad! They are quite nice actually. But of the flats I have tried they have the least sustain and least treble. So, in round wound speak: dead, and also in flat wound speak: broken in.

10. I would try the TIs, but I feel they are too expensive. I’m looking for another option.

11. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I thought the LTF strings were made to be strung through the body where the normal DTF strings were not.

12. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I thought the LTF strings were made to be strung through the body where the normal DTF strings were not.

13. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    There’s a set of La Bella Deep Talkin’ flats designed for thru-body stringing. Very, very nice strings.

14. I contacted La Bella and they said that the low tension strings will be no problem strung through the body, and that I just need to make sure they are long enough.

Does anybody know how long of a string I need for an L-2500? I'd rather not go to the trouble of taking a string off and measuring it.

Goatrope likes this.
  15. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I use LaBella Black Nylon Tape wound strings on both my 2500.
    They are a little brighter than flats but not as bright as rounds
    My favorite for years
    The best place to buy them is stringsonline.com
    Duke

16. What length strings do you buy, long or xtra long?

17. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I will look when I get home but I believe they are long scale
    My fretted is string through my fretless is top load
    Duke

18. Thanks, I really appreciate it. I am interested in the string length required for string through on the L-2500

19. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Contact Jason at bass strings on line. You get a discount because you're a TB member and he has all the info you need.

BryanB likes this.
  20. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I use long scale
    On both of my 2500s
    One is string through and the fretless is top load
    Duke

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021