1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

La Bella Rounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SundanceChile, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Yes yes, I used the search function. ;)

Asking for feedback on La Bella rounds, namely if anyone could offer up a comparison between the Deep Talkin' Bass and Hard Rockin' Steel sets. I'm finally going to make the jump on changing my strings(purchased bass used a year ago, no clue how old the strings are, but guessing from tone rather). I really don't like the harshness from stainless, but after listening on BassTasters with their 60's classic Jazz, the La Bellas seem to be a lot more like nickel mellow. Any feedback about the 2 sets would be greatly appreciated! :hyper:

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I have not tried the Deep Talkin rounds, but the Hard Rockin Steels are perhaps the least harsh steel strings I have tried. Nicely balanced and flexible; sound great for a long time.

I have tried the nickel Slappers 5 string set, and found them to be excellent as well. Sort of a cross between D'Addario and Fender feel.

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    +1 on the Hard Rockin Steels.. great strings...

I have them on my Glaub for a while...

they have a very nice growl to them and I recorded with them as well with exceptional results...

4. Hmm. The slappers sound interesting. I dig the Fenders, but I haven't had a chance to try D'Addario yet.

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I've never played the HRS but the Deep Talkin' Rounds are exactly what it says on the packet. They sound incredibly like the DT flats, but with less thump but all the lows. Not much zing either. Personally I'd rather use their flats because I look for a different tone with rounds.

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    HRS are not what I'd call mellow, they are growly and fat. One of my two favorite string sets.

I havn't tried the Deep Talkin Rounds, but for the ultimate in round mellow roundwound groove tone, my recent favorites are Fender nickels (Yes, Fender!)

7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Fender strings are great! I think they get a bad rap because of all the awful, rusty sets on music store floor models.

8. Thanks for all the info guys! I think I've about narrowed it down to the La Bella DTB vs. the Fender Nickels. One more question if you guys don't mind; how is the clarity in the higher register with said strings?

9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I thought it was great with the fenders. Nice round and clear but not a lot of bite.

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Nice description, I would say the same of the Labellas, too.

11. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I've used many many strings. I've settle on HRS for my rounds on all my basses. Great depth of tone, not hard on fingers, plenty highs, lots of mids. Use them on P's, J's.

12. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Would any of you guys know what rounds La Bella makes for Carvin? I have been getting the cheap Carvin sets for $10 a pop and they are made by La Bella and I love them. I used to use La Bella Slappers too. and they were great as well

13. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I just put some HRSs on my USA lakland JOBO 5 and MAN is this sounding good for fingerstyle and pick. I think they are the best strings available for any 5 string player who doesn't slap. So growly and punchy.

14. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    I just got turned on to LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels (Thanks LM!) and yep, all of my basses are slowly being changed over. They have a great feel and more importantly, tone.

...and I'ma thinkin' to get a set of Jamersons as well :bassist:

15. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Jamersons are a gnarly guage, 760FLs are my favorite flats.

16. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    yep, I'm up for the gnarl :smug:

17. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    He means a gnarl that wants to snap your neck in half.:eek:

18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    As I recall LaBella Super Steps are a good sounding set of strings. I used them on a Pedulla Rapture-5 that I used to own. I've bought a few sets of LaBella Slappers, and they sound good too.

Honestly I prefer D'Addario strings over all the other brands of strings I've tried. I use XL nickel plated rounds on most of my basses. I have a set of ProSteels on my P-Bass and IMO they sound great.

19. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I am a huge fan of the HRS sets, especially the B string.
    I switched back to a 34" scale after changing to LaBella, I just found that I didn't need the extra length anymore.

Super Steps have only worked for me on a certain fretless bass, but otherwise, I had a real problem with them interacting with my pickups and having a weird chorusing effect on anything above the 12th fret.

I also like the deep talkin' rounds, for their mellower attack.

And, no, Psychicpet, I shall NOT be using flats. They are for young and strong players like you!

LM

20. I tried some different La Bella sets. HRS, DTB and bronze ones. Use DTB for smoother tones, HRS for aggressive (never heard anything else that zinged that hard).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021