Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

La Bella Slappers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RAM, Aug 5, 2003.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Does anybody use La Bella Slappers? They are the strings that originally came on my Jerzy Drozd Mastery VI, and are taper wound.

When the strings wore out, I replaced them with DR Highbeams, which I use on my Spector. However, I was unhappy with the result. Dan Lenard told me Jerzy uses La Bella Slappers on his basses, so I thought I'd give them a try. The only thing is, no one carries them locally, and my "guy" at GC said he could order them for me, but because he doesn't normally stock them, I'd have to order 6 sets. I don't mind that, but want to know what I'm getting into first.

I thought about ordering them as a single set online, which I may just do. But, even before I do that, I wanted people's opinions on these strings.

Thanks, in advance!

RAM

2. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I'm a big fan of La Bella strings in general. I don't think they make any bad strings. Slappers are pretty unique in that the first wrap is stainless and the final wrap is nickel... kinda the best of both worlds. If I'm not mistaken, Alain Caron uses them and how great is his sound?

Only the B string is tapered on the Slappers. And please don't buy 6 sets from GC if you only need one; they should be ashamed of themselves.

Tom

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    If I'm not mistaken, Carvin's strings are said to be made by La Bella, and they are at a great price too if I may add. I have used them on some of my basses, and so far, I swear by them. I prefer the Nickel's to the SS's though just because all of the strings are taperred verses just the B. At the price, it can't hurt to try them out, and it would be probobly half the cost of what GC wanted to sell them to you for.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    You have a Jerzy Drozd?! I hate you! :D

Seriously, those are the most gorgeous basses I've ever seen. I played one at Bass Alone a while back, and it was fabulous.

Halftooth is right, you might like the Carvins. Nice strings at a nice price, and made by Labella.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ah...what the heck...check out this old thread...:cool:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=86969&highlight=Jerzy

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Fantabulous, bro. I don't hang out in the "Basses" forum too much, I'm GASsy enough as it is.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the only string i use these days are Labella Slappers. been using them since i first started a few years ago.

just so you know, the Slappers are nickel roundwounds, while the Highbeams are usually steel roundwounds, no? might explain the tonal difference. but i find DR's to die quickly and be more inconsistent on the whole.

IMHO, the Slappers one of the best, more consistent nickel strings i've used. i've used DR Sunbeams, and again, didnt like inconsistency, nor the quick dying. i'm still on the lookout for a great set of nickels, but so far, i've stopped with the Slappers.

and btw, they come in taperwound for all the strings not just the low B. i actually like them this way, cause they just feel punchier and not as mushy. whether on my Elrick, my Sadowsky, or my parts bass, the Slappers do the job.

oh and i usually get mine from www.juststrings.com. but i am interested in trying out www.bassguitarstrings.us

8. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Bzzzzt! Wrong Tom! :oops: jokerjkny is right.

Tom

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Slappers definitely felt amazing and had a warmer tone than the DR Hi Beams, from what I remember. But, I thought I read somewhere that they're actually nickel wrapped around steel...:confused: