1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

La Bella Strings Are Coming!!

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Feb 19, 2016.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm really excited to announce that we are in the process of becoming a dealer for La Bella strings!! I've been playing their low tension flats pretty much exclusively for several months now, and I've always wanted to carry their old school flatwounds (the various "deep talkin'" 760 type).

I'm just now putting together my opening order, and it'll be 3 weeks or so before that arrives. I'll be sure to post an update once the strings arrive and I get them listed on my website.

In the meantime, if there's a hard to find set of La Bella strings that you would like me to stock regularly, please feel free to reply to this thread with the info. I can't guarantee that I will stock it regularly, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

kevk, StayLow, jefff100 and 2 others like this.
  2. so tuff

so tuff

Sep 10, 2012
    Tacoma, Wa.
    :bassist::bassist::hyper:

3. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Well, I've just given La Bella some money. The next step is they send me some strings. :)

so tuff likes this.
  4. so tuff

so tuff

Sep 10, 2012
    Tacoma, Wa.
    Remember me when they arrive. Pretty much I want some of everything!

RocketMusic likes this.
  5. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Alright!! We are officially open for business with La Bella! We've received our first shipment, and I just got the sets that we are currently stocking listed on our site.

La Bella Strings @ Rocket Music

Let me know if there's a set you want that I don't have in stock. It takes about 3 weeks to get stuff from La Bella, and I'll be happy to add different types of strings driven by demand.

so tuff likes this.
  6. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    In case anyone cares, I've been doing some experimenting with flatwounds on my Lull P4. I was hooked on the LTF-4A "low tension" flats for a couple of years. The slinkier feel is a very attractive quality to me, but...

I've been slowly working my way up through the 760 "Deep-Talking" sets. My first try was the 760FL set (.043 through .104). While I did immediately recognize that the tension was higher than the LTF-4A set, I also noticed that the amount of thump/low end coming out of my bass was also significantly higher. This is a very good thing, as far as my eternal tone quest goes.

Liking what I was hearing, I decided to try two steps up in terms of guage: the 760-FM set (.049-.109). Holy cow, the tone!!! The increase in string tension, while noticeable, was not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I've now got 3 gigs under my belt on these strings, and I am LOVING them. I'm now used to the tension, and I can even still bend a note should the mood strike.

I've got my eye on the final destination now: the 760-M set (.052-.110) , which is what James Jamerson and Duck Dunn used back in the day (and Phil Chen still has the same dang set on his P-bass 40 some years later).

When I first started ordering La Bella strings, I couldn't conceive of ANYONE wanting to try the 760-M set. And now, here I go. As soon as my next shipment from La Bella gets here. LOL

mwbonsall, Jeff Moote and bdgotoh like this.
  7. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    FWIW - All of this experimenting was spurned on by the recent book that was released about Duck Dunn. He's always been one of my favorite players, probably my single biggest influence. The book is really good, I recommend it to any bass playing fan of Duck Dunn. For the transcriptions, if nothing else.

It's been a hoot listening to a bunch of old Stax and Blues Brothers tunes, reading about the man himself, and working through some of the transcriptions of tunes that I learned by ear a long time ago.

Fat Freddy and bdgotoh like this.
  8. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    So what's your theory here Greg?

Does a larger diameter string affect the pickup more than a smaller diameter? Are you hearing more output or different tone?

I confess to favoring smaller diameter strings, you've got me curious now.

9. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Man, the low end punch coming off my bass now is just amazing. Gobs and gobs of fundamental that is unexpectedly clear.

I imagine the mass of the strings themselves has something to with it, and I'd guess that the increased string tension also has something to do with it. I think they probably vibrate a little more purely under the higher tension. Sort of like how folks love a 35" B string because the increased tension makes for a more clear sounding B string. So on my 34" 4-string, I'm getting that increased tension on all 4 strings by increasing the string gauges rather than increasing the scale length.

That's all conjecture, though. All I know is that the smile on my face gets bigger ever time I go up a guage. LOL I hope that holds true for the 760M set once I get my hands on that. If not, I know I love the 760-FM set.

bdgotoh and Jeff Moote like this.
  10. Keep us posted. FMs are my favorite strings set, but I'm satisfied with the FMs. Always wanted to try the Jamerson set though.
    From what I understand, the 760 series is a more modern version of the 0760M set, so it may sound different? Also I wonder what the tension is between the two sets.

RocketMusic likes this.
  11. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    There is nothing like the Jamerson La Bellas. There is just so much "heft" to the notes.

I had a set on a P Bass for a while, and with the setup dialed in just right, they weren't really all that hard to play, like some fear.

Everyone should try a set.

12. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yeah - it seems like the added tension actually helps you lower the action even more, if that's your thing.

One other thing I'm really loving is how consistent my tone is across all the strings now. I was forever futzing with the pickup heights when I was using thinner strings, I was even toying with the idea of trying a reverse P to try to fatten up the D & G strings. There's no need with these La Bella 760 strings, all of the strings are huge sounding now.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    mwbonsall likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021