1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

La Bella Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NextStepGuy, Mar 9, 2013.

1. I just received a set of La Bella strings (ref: LaBella 0760M Original 1954 Flatwnd 52-110). Thank God for Amazon's return policy, they are back in the packaging on their way back to the warehouse with an instant refund. I installed them on my Fender Jazz (roadworn with vintage bridge meaning the strings don't go thru the body) and quickly noticed that after playing an hour the E string was raising on the bridge due to the wrapped metal curling up on the string. Did I do something wrong or these strings suffer from quality control so common in these days of sloppy manufacturing?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    If you could have taken some photos so we could see what you are having a problem with I and or La Bella could have helped you out.

At this point we do not know if there was an installation error or something else.

3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Probably neither. Manufacturing will never be perfect, and a defective string or two is bound to slip through. My guess is you were just the unluckly player who got the rare bad string. LaBella flats are highly regarded, and I use them myself.

4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I recently picked up a 50's Classic P and it had La Bella flats on it and I'm loving those strings so much I'm also considering replacing the Chromes on my '76 P. La Bellas are great strings.

5. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    Yup - bad batch. I have used La Bella Stainless and Tape Wounds for years.
    Excellent strings.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Sight unseen I wonder if the bridge saddle was so far back it says resting on the winding by the ball end.

Never came across an issue like op is describing.

7. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Anyone tried LaBella Rounds? I have a set of Nickels I traded for and don't know what to do with.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I think you nailed it.

In other words....user error.

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I just thought of something else... Is it possible the set purchased from "Amazon" was a "Thru-Body" set. If so the windings would have definitely been sitting incorrectly on the bridge.

10. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Hard to say exactly but some LaBellas use a thinner core (especially on their Vintage style strings) which may have snapped at the saddle or somewhere along the length of the string. On a Thru-body, the "Break Angle" over the saddle is more acute, and can stress the core beyond its limit depending on the string's construction. Flatwounds especially are stiffer, and the Ribbon Wrap may cut into the core with this type of string load. You can retro-fit the bass with a top-load bridge from Allparts, Mighty Mite, Leo Quan or try a different series of LaBella Flats. They make several and they're all good.

11. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Off topic I know but this thread reminds me of my first new Fender bass. 63 CAR J-bass s.n. L07055. All Fender basses of the time came with LaBella heavy flats, no other choices. Those strings, that bass, a heavy pick through my 62 Bassman 2x12 gave me the bass sound I've carried in my head thru the ages. Everything is compared to that sound and most come up lacking.

bobyoung53 likes this.