1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

La Bella SUPERNIL BASS STRINGS

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Chris Paget, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
  2. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Well, these strings behave decently in laminate basses, since the slightly unfocused and loud sound they deliver seems impressive.
    Mike

3. nealw

nealw

Sep 9, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    It's been a long time since I played them but as I recall, they sound ok (not great) but the windings aren't attached to the cores so they tend to "roll" disconcertingly when played. I didn't like the feel at all.

4. They also make a lot of noise when you slip the left hand fingers. (due to the fine round wire wrap)
    (the D&G use a thin nylon filament wrap)
    Through a pickup, this is awful.

5. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    Thanks, everyone. This has been very helpful.

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I remember liking the sound and playability on my American Standard, but the round wire dug into the fingerboard a bit and of course, they weren't bowable.

7. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I liked them when I had them on. I think it would be a good string for bluegrass festivals but not much else. They're similar to gut in feel but they don't have a lot of focus. You can bow them but they'll sound really anemic. And, you really need an adjustable bridge as they demand substantial clearance.

Having said all that, if I had an extra laminated bass I'd probably keep it strung with Supernils. They're not practical, but they are fun.

If you're looking for a low priced string that does a decent job of everything consider Corelli 380. Southwest Strings had them for about the price of Supernils.

8. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Actually they represent a cheap imitation of gut strings and they tend to give a loud sound played unplugged. Some Central European laminates behave decently with them and Thomann has strung the all the cheap Chinese basses with these strings. A recommented string clearance is 7,9,10,12 mm (G,D,A,E) from the FB's end, in order to avoid buzzings etc. Bowing is not so horrible but they are mainly pizzicatto strings.
    Some Greek bassists call them "poor bassist's gut strings".
    The winding is not particularly friendly to fingers.
    Mike