1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

La Bella White Nylon Tape Wound strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Oct 25, 2018.

1. I have a set of D'Addario Pro Steels on my bass now and I really like them. However, I am interested in trying flatwounds. I have read that the La Bella white nylon tape wounds have a relatively "bright" tone for flatwounds. I don't need a crazy bright tone, just some noticeable clarity. I also have SD Quarter Pounds, so these pickups will already bring out the brightness of strings. Just wondering if y'all think this would be a good choice for me. I play mainly classic rock material. Thanks.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They're not flatwounds. They're steel rounds wrapped in clear nylon tape. They have a lot of brightness and clarity.

CapnSev and Tony In Philly like this.
  3. Thanks for clearing that up, Gorn. I guess I have a little bit to learn about strings and the bass in general. I read that these strings have a very smooth feel to them (like flatwounds). Would they be a little less harsh on the frets also? Thanks again.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They feel like thin, flexible plastic tubes. They're smoother and would cause even less fret wear than the softest and smoothest flats.

5. Cool, thanks!

6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’m using the Copper Whites on two basses right now. They have really nice mids and bright but not excessively bright highs if that’s your thing. The feel is interesting. It’s a sorta dry feel. Not the sticky plasticky feel you might expect. And they have good flex and tension compared to your average metal flatwound. So string bends are definitely doable.

If you’re just looking for a flat with more clarity I can recommend Chromes. They’re characterized as being a bright flat. But to my ears it’s not so much they’re bright as clearer sounding. They break in pretty quickly for a flat - and sound great on a PB IMO.

Yahboy likes this.
  7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    +1
    The copper white nylon are very comfort on both fretting and pluck finger. Even my hand get sweat, but no sticky problem on the nylon string compare to high gloss polish Flatwound string.

8. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    F83939FB-FCE9-4775-8C6B-EADA2C5B36BA. 94D14BC1-F1E1-48A9-B504-9602CFFE0AF3. I use LaBella Black Nylon tapes
    I find that they are not as bright as rounds, but brighter the steel flats.
    Yes they are easy on the frets and fingers.
    I really love them on my fretless as well
    Duke

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    The white tapes are easily one of my top 3 favorites in strings. Here are some fretless sound clips I did a while back:

LaBella White Tapes: Soundclips