1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LA bow rehair update

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Tom Lane, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I bought a used bow from Lisa Gass a few months ago and realized soon after that it needs a rehair, but I've been enjoying it so much that I've been procrastinating getting the work done - really, my back-up bow is pretty close, I should just get over it.

Anyway, the point of the post is to provide recommendations for bass bow rehairs in Los Angeles, to promote valuable info.

Here they be (forgive my rushed notes over the phone):

komono west la 310.475.5897

818.843.4700 nazaraz

I was told that these folks have the fewest complaints about their work as of recent.

I know this will be in the search engine at TB until long after I've decomposed, so hopefully this helps the community at large.

MattyBass likes this.
  2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Metzler Violins in Glendale.

Garret Graves likes this.
  3. richhansen

richhansen

Oct 2, 2006
    Utah
    Endorser of the KSM Foundation Bridge.
    Speaking of LA, I'm coming out there in a couple weeks, and I've been wanting to try out some new bows. Does anyone in LA have a new bow (French preferably) that they love, and wouldn't mind letting someone check out? I've been playing a carbon fiber finale, but it's a bit too scratchy sounding, and I'd like to upgrade. Maybe it just needs a rehair, so that may be something to explore too. I might also visit Lisa Gass or Lemur to see what they have as well.

4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bows are tricky here. Lisa Gass has some. Lemur has some. Denisa Hanna is making some. I play German so I'm no big help, but good luck
    Louis

5. richhansen

richhansen

Oct 2, 2006
    Utah
    Endorser of the KSM Foundation Bridge.
    Thanks for the info Louis. I've read some of your postings here, and I see that you had Upton make you a five-string Brescian. I'd love to see that bass, if you're gigging in LA with it sometime near the end of March. Thanks.

6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    That got put on hold because of some pending surgeries. I actually will have to shift to smaller instruments and Gary and I have talked about a 5/8th Concorde, which I assume we will start on in the summer.
    Best
    Louis

7. Tom - that's Cremona West and Nazareth Gevorkian. There's also Charles Liu on Sunset (near Amoeba Records): Charles W. Liu Fine Violins - Home
    I've gotten rehairs from all three of these folks and have no complaints.

Tom Lane likes this.
  8. anightintunisia

anightintunisia Supporting Member

I recommend Nazareth Gevorkian. He knows what he is doing.

9. Tom Lane

I finally drove my bow out to the Valley this morning. Nazareth Gevorkian 818.486.3539 15041 Lemay Street Van Nuys, CA 91405. I expect everything to be fine and I'll let you know.

10. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great! Thanks

Louis

11. Don Kasper

"What...EVERRRR!?", said the ValleyBoy.

Tom Lane likes this.
  12. Tom Lane

Got my bow back from Nazareth yesterday. 3+ hour round trip! Sheesh! Shoulda waited until Monday! Bow came out great! Nice, full ribbon, all of the hairs running in the same direction, and he did a great job replacing the tip. Here's some pics for your envy.

overall. ribbon. tip.

Don Kasper likes this.
  13. Don Kasper

Looks nice. Good to know - FYI - this might be a 20min round trip for me!

Also - Is the blue Painter's Tape there just to TROLL me?
    Well played, Sir.

14. Tom Lane

Mos' def!

Don Kasper likes this.
  15. Don Kasper

Was it north or south of $100.00? (For just the rehair...)
    I ask because there is a recent Thread with some (possible Cheap Bastard?) angst regarding the cost of rehairs around the U.S.
    Thank$.

16. Tom Lane

A little over $200, including the new tip and tax. Reasonable but I can see why you'd consider learning to do it yourself.

17. Don Kasper

OK. Sounds reasonable, esp. including the new tip. I guess I could just call Naz for a quote for just a rehair?
    For the record - Even I, a "CB", don't have any problem with paying an expert to do specialized work.
    Thanks.

Tom Lane likes this.
  18. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I dropped off a bow yesterday at Charles LIu on Sunset. Never worked with him before, but he comes highly recommended. The shop seemed well apportioned, good instruments etc; He has two levels of rehair "standard" & "professional" ($69; $85). I went with the "professional" on this bow and will have him do a "standard" on an arcus bow when I pick it up. I'll report back in later.

Louis

Tom Lane and Don Kasper like this.
  19. Don Kasper

@LouisF - I wonder if there is a Charles Liu "JR." at Metzler Vlns. in Glendale?
    see below:

20. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don Kasper likes this.