Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LA People: Knitting Factory or Spaceland?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 28, 2003.

1. One of my favorite bands, Low, will be playing two dates in LA in February. They'll be at Spaceland on Silver Lake Boulevard on the 27th and at the Knitting Factory on the 28th.

Which of these shows should I see? They'll probably be around the same price ($10-15). The main issue for me is the venue. Low is an extremely dynamics-oriented band and I would hate for some of their pianissimo passages to be ruined by the sound of drunken barflies shouting "FREEBIRD!"

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Knitting Factory is on BET Jazz alot... I'd go there just cause I might see myself on BET...

3. Something tells me that a self-described "slowcore" band comprised of two Mormons from Duluth probably isn't gonna be on BET Jazz.

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Well, the point is, BET has been there before, so you can brag about it.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I believe you are talking about the famous New York Knitting Factory... Never knew that there was one in L.A.

IME, the "Play Some Skynyrd!" beer-type barflies are usually found in dives that have Coors Light on tap... At $10 - $15 dollars you're much more likely to encounter the somewhat higher class, (and better looking), "I wanna hear some Squeeze" Smirnoff-Ice-inna-bottle-type barflies...

I don't know either club... That being said, I'm gonna go with Spaceland just to disagree with Mike. :)

-robert

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Geez Pete, what is it with you and Mormons?

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've been to the knitting factory twice, spaceland never.

I really dug the knitting factory though.

Saw the Live in america band there.

8. Uh...I am one?

9. Nice. Would you say that KFLA is a good venue to see a really quiet band?

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Wait wait wait wait wait. Pete's a mormon now?

11. One of the sound guys at Knitting Factory has some sort of high end hearing loss, and he's high a lot, so sometimes you don't get a lot of bass in the house mix.

12. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have never been to spaceland, but the KF/LA is one of the nicer clubs in LA. I have been to quite a few shows there and I always had a good time.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000

Oh, that would explain it. :D