Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

La Scala fully carved bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by richard hassan, Jan 26, 2006.

1. richard hassan

richard hassan

Jan 14, 2006
    Boston, MA
    New kid on the block would like to know if anyone has played a fully carved La Scala and how it compares to the hybrid. Thanks

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Well, it is mainly the difference of the Back then at that point. I believe the Ribs are solid on all models. I would assume the Top to be the same or better if possible grade wise on the fully carved but only Arnold can confirm that detail.

I think the Carved Back (fully carved) model has a bit more mature and complex sound than the Laminated Back. I think it would matter more to an Orchestral player then a Pizz player but I'm more of a wood kinda guy and favor the all carved type Basses.

Both Basses were great and I played them at different times. I do recall the Full craved being a few notches sweeter but all else was too close to call.

3. richard hassan

richard hassan

Jan 14, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Ken, Thanks for the response. Another issue of concern to me is the one of cracking. As an amateur my bass will not see a lot of road time or climate change. Will more carved wood present more of an opportunity for cracking or will proper care make this a non issue. Thanks

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Either model has the same type top. The Back is not the usual worry with cracks and splits. That's usually the top. If the wood is well seasoned and the Bass is taken care of you should be ok. I have 2 Shens from 1997 and 2001 and they are fine. My Gilkes is from 1811 and the Top is still in near perfect shape there as well with the exception of almost 200 years of life as a Bass.

5. richard hassan

richard hassan

Jan 14, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Thanks again for the reply. Any alternative recommendations for basses in the same price range ($5000 - $7500)? Is it possible to find an old bass in this price range that will sound as good as the La Scala .

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Why do you need a fully carved La Scala? The hybrids sound absolutely great.

7. richard hassan

richard hassan

Jan 14, 2006
    Boston, MA
    That is my question. Is $1800 more for the fully carved gonna sound significantly better.

8. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I've not played a fully carved one so I can't answer that question exactly. I can tell you that the hybrid sounds absolutely wonderful. In fact, the laminate ones sound great too. In fact, there are a couple of people on this site that have owned both the laminate and the hybrid so maybe they could give you some input regarding differences b/w those two.

I would think that if you play in an orchestra (or lots of other arco type music) then the fully carved would have the edge but otherwise I don't think you need it.

You just have to hear these basses. Call Arnold!

9. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Where are you located? There might be a New Standard in your area that you could check out.

10. richard hassan

richard hassan

Jan 14, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I am in the Boston area and have talked to Arnold. He does not have one presently to try.