LA15 low enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fog_dee, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Hi,

I'm a newbie here, and have tons of questions, but will just start out with a simple? one.

I bought a SWR LA15 to run my Fender Jazz through. I'm wondering how it will respond to a 5 stringer. Will it do okay with the low B?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,,, as I'm looking at a Yamaha BB605.

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    The SWR LA-series amps are kind of cheesy, IMO. I'd recommend browsing the used market for something better.
  3. Thanks primusdude.

Kinda handicapped for funds right now, but will take a look in the papers.
  4. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Take your LA15 to a music store that has 5-stringers in stock and try it out for yourself. Just tell them that you have cash and are looking into buying a 5-string and they will jump thru hoops for you. Don't tell them that you just want to use them to see how the 5-string will sound thru the LA15....they will probably hide all the power cords!

I think that the LA15 make good practice amps and small coffee house amps. The tone isn't that great but they are good for someone who is "low on funds." They seem to be relatively loud for a 100watt-15" combo. Good budget amp.

At first, stick to the cheap stuff. Save all your money and when the day comes, dump it all into a great rig that you will be TOTALLY happy with. You will be less disappointed and won't be wanting new gear because you have outgrown your old stuff that is 1 month old. You will spend more overall if you take it in steps (budget combo amp-> good combo amp->medium stack->king of all stacks,etc.).
  5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    save your cash for a bit and get you a nemisis combo. i have seen the 2x10 ine for aboot 350 used. plus its more fun to find a deal. i am an swr man and even I dont like the la series.
  6. LA Series wont handle the 5-string. I almost bought one, until I played a 5 thru it. Get a workingmans 15.
  7. Thanks Guys!!!!!!

I'm very new to the Bass world.
    I've been in 6 string-ville for the last few years.

I's been an eye opening experience,,,, to say the least.

My hands and wrists have never had to work so hard!!!!!!!! :)

I'll do some more looking. Sounds like I've wasted some money on the LA15. But, live and learn.

I'll ask questions here first.

Thanks again!!!!!!