1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lab Series 2 - complete w/ two 1x15" cabs

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Blue, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    Starting a new project, so I'm selling some precious gear to raise funds. First on the block is this:

1979 ish Lab Series L2 with very rare original cab plus an auxiliary (homemade) cab sporting a EV-15B, plus an original (hard to find) owners manual. Good Condition.

... if I may be bold - all the Lab Series designs are Really toneful. Ask around and that's a pretty universal opinion: "They sound warm and tubelike ... I've played though ampegs, fenders and peaveys ... never found a 100 watt amp that sounded better to me."

Here is a link to the Harmony Central Reviews:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data/Lab_Series/L2_Head-01.html

The cabinets are so rare, there is not even a single review in the Harmony Central database.

I have especially enjoyed the lightness of the main cab'. It is a really easy to haul ported-slot design. The home-made cab works well, but is not nearly as light. You can have just the EV-15B speaker if you want to save the freight, but if you live near central NC, you'll want the second cabinet too.

I know 100 watts doesn't sound like much, but it's a well balanced design .. "the loudest 100 watts ...", etc. According to the hard to find original manual - which I have - it will drive to 4 ohms, so I've used it with a second cabinet, and this 100 watt head will "do" all but the most extreme gigs.

While older, they are still readily repairable. The only hard-to find part is the power switch, which is still available, but not though Mouser.

fwiw, these were Very Expensive in their day. These days, the heads alone go for $100, when you find one. I've NEVER seen another cabinet for sale - but a used 1x15 is almost always worth another $100, which does not include the ethereal value of a rare match set - with the original (not a copy) owners manual. The EV-15B's typically bring close to another $100.

Enough "hard sell" All for $250 sounds like a great deal to me. If anyone wants to ROCK with 2x15's, on the cheap, PM me. I'll post pictures later.

---