Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LAB series l4?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hujo, Apr 7, 2003.

1. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has played the LAB series amp head l4, or anything from LAB series for that matter...

Thanks guys..

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Just a Lab Series guitar amp...never a bass amp.

I found the eq to be flexible and the compressor to work well....in the guitar version

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks, and bump.

4. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    Labseries L2 here, reliable,hard working amp. yours is the only other bass amp they made. yours is 200 watts? L2 is 100 watts but sound much louder. Mine is a 1979, it was my first amp and I never needed another one. I would buy an L4 if I could find one. here's a pic of her.

5. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    Here she is with her 1979 fender 15 , loaded with a kick ass JBL speaker.

6. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    bump for hujo, oh yea only drawback on my L2 is it only has an 8 ohm out put so ya got to use an 8 ohm cab. Is L4 8 ohm as well?

7. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I really don't know, I'm thinking about buying one.. Thanks for your help, how do you think it sounds? Warm, harsh, muddy, edgy?

8. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    They sound warm and tubelike, I've played though ampegs,fenders and peaveys. I have never found a 100 watt amp that sounded better to me. Plus if you run it into a guitar cabinet, with a guitar of course, it doubles nicely as a guitar amp. Go play through it and you'll see what I mean, I'd buy it if the price is right. I have no idea what used gear goes for in sweden, but try it and let your ears decide.

9. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't think I'll be able to try it, it's on the other side of the country.. I like warm tube sounds though, so... Thanks alot!

10. Canboyd

Canboyd

Jan 27, 2011
    Im From Argentina, I´ve recently joined the forum and had a surprise finding people who own this Amp Head. I personally own a L4 Lab Series bass head.....used through Ampeg cabinets and GK and its sounds fukin amazing. I have a Fender Jazz B with seymour duncan pickups and I could not found any better amp head than this excepto maybe the Ampeg SVT classic. Obviously, If you dig this type and style of sound.

11. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Grayling,MI.
    I love these! and other than my vintage SVT's its pretty much the only bass amp ive used.I still have my original L2 from 83!They sound fantastic!the warmest tube like solid state you'll ever find the single 15 L2 cabs are super cool as well.They have a really nice punch to them.You will have to put a real speaker in it if you get one( lol) but they do smoke.The active compression is one of the cooler things about the lab series amps. When dialed up just right they make the amp sound like its full of tubes.The electronics were designed and built by MOOG electronics!L4's are basically the same except for the output.200 watts instead of 100

12. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    I owned an L4 for years, bullet proof and powerful. I ALWAYS ran it 4ohms (2 8ohm JBL E140's wired parallel) and never had any issues. The built in fan is most likely why. I played it side by side with a early 80's SVT in the store before I bought it and it straight up made the 8-10 Ampeg sound weak. No Kidding! Not an extremely versatile amp for tone but it did have a lush warm tone best described as tube like. 2 channels,the built in compressor was very functional, bass, para-mid control treble and a deep switch. Probably one of the most under-rated power house amps around with 200 old school watts!!! Just don't expect to get modern HiFi tone out of it.