Lab Systems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman454, Jan 27, 2002.

1. i am from australia and i just brought a lab systems 410HP, 800 watt rms/1600 program power
    and i gotta say to you americans no offence but you don't know what you are missing out on.
    and i recomend you to at any oppertunity to try one out, great clear punchy sound, with lots of lows and lots of top end, you hardly/don't even need to run a 15 inch with it.
    the most versitile cab i have ever heard.
    i run it under a ****ty peavey 115 combo, and with out this cab i just can't get the sound i want out of it, its very dull and muddy, but as soon as i added this cab it was just so bright and lively, no matter how i set the amps EQ it sound great
  2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The Peavey combo 115 is best accompanied with at least a 2x10. I think that's why it sounds better with the 4x10. :)

I don't know how you got a bad sound, or were unpleased with your sound with the Combo 115. I've never owned one, but I've played on them in stores, and liked them quite a bit.

Maybe you should play with your EQ a little more, and become more comfortable with it.

If you're now getting a sound you dig though, more power to yah. :)
  3. The peavey Combo is made for a 4-ohms additional speaker..

And since the Peavey is 300w max ( 2 ohms ), it's a dead shame to put an 800w cab on it..

800w cab + 300w amp = :( ( the amp will do massive clipping at high volumes and eventually kill the speakers )

you planning on getting a bigger amp anyday soon ?
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Ermm... Allodox, you do know that your max power handling has little to do with the efficiency of your speakers, right? ;)

Secondly, the Combo 115 with an additional speaker cabinet hooked to it doesn't need to be "cranked." I used to run my 410TXF with a 210TX combo, which is almost the exact same thing as the Combo 115, except it's a 2x10 combo, not a 1x15. :)

Same preamp and poweramp. :)
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, this is wrong. The power handling capacity of your cab has nothing to do with whether you clip your amp or not. The only thing that determines whether you clip your amp is *how high you turn the amp up*. And that has to do with (1) how much power your amp has, (2) how loud you wanna play, and (3) how efficient your cab is. NOT cab power handling. This has been discussed at length in previous threads ....
  6. yes i am planning to trade my peavey in on a Lab Systmes VP600s, valve pre-amp, 600 watt rms, when i get enough money (probably this time next year, lol)
    and my peavey has a minimum impendence of 4 ohms, so i have an 8 ohm speaker combo, in my peavey i have put a 4 ohm 15 and a 4 ohm 10 inch in series to bring it up to 8 ohms, then i am running the lab systems quad in parralel, to bring the impendence back down to 4 ohms.
    and the 410 is very efficient and i am only running the peavey on about pre gain arounf 2-4 and master gain around 5, and its pretty loud, but i still want a proper head for the box.
  7. has anyone else had any experience with lab systems?? and what did they think?

and thanks richard i agree with you on power handling on the cab has nothing to do with amp clipping, like even when i turn my peavey up to gig volume, and it is draining out the drums and also the peavey 5150 giutar amp that is turned up just over half way, the 410's speakers aren't even moving very much, but yet they are very efficient, so this makes me think that these speakers must really be able to handle a fair bit of powerand are capable of incredible sound pressure, much more than i can supplly to it.
  8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    bassman, your speakers shouldn't be visibly "pumping."

If that happens, turn your amp down immediately, you're running a risk of blowing your speakers due to clipping. :)
  9. no i don't agree with you "crawling eye" becuase if the speakers are bouncing a lot, this doesn't mean the amp is clipping it just means they are running at high power, i.e putting out a lot of sound? doesn't it?
  10. I once had a Lab Systems 300w head, it sounded very close to a GK 400RB. When I took the cover off, I was disappointed with the quality of workmanship, but I have a friend who has had a 400w head for many years, and to my knowledge it has performed well. Well enough, in fact, to get this guy onto the short-list as Stuart Zender's replacement in Jamiroquai.
  11. No I'm pretty sure CrawlingEye is right, you should never see your speakers moving. If they are, they are over-excursion-ing or something like that, and can come free from their hinges.

PS I have a Peavey too, yay for Peavey!
  12. I'm an aussie, and I know heaps of people who use Lab System heads, when I get the cash I will be one of those people, I am looking at getting the 600S! I have tried the same head you own at a gig and I was very, very pleased with it (hence me wanting a lab systems head!)
  13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I don't think this can be right. Your speakers have to move; if they don't, they can't produce sound. And they have to move more to render bass frequencies well. Some speakers, like the 10s Acme uses, are specifically designed to have long excursion. That's how they're meant to work (within reason), and that's part of how they manage to produce the degree of bass they do.
  14. I took this to mean slow-rate movement. This can occur when infrasonic frequencies are fed to the speaker, or it is reacting to manual string movement over the pickup. The appropriate low-cut filter will eliminate this and prevent damage.
  15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    {lightbulb switches on}
  16. yes, i agree that the speakers aren't supposed to over excursion. but what i am trying to say, what i meant when i said i don't agree with richard lindsey is that "just because the speakers are moving it doesn't mean the amp is clipping".

and they have to move to produce sound that is how they work, they move to make the sound waves. all speakers move.
  17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The fact that the speakers move/vibrate is a given.
    I don't think you should be able to look at your speakers and visibly see them pumping, though.

That's what I said before, and I'll repeat it again.

If you can literally see your speakers moving in and out of the cabinet, your speakers are clipping, and you should turn down.

This shouldn't happen if your DDT protection on.

If you want to argue what I'm saying, you can, it won't be my speakers that get blown... :oops:
  18. I have a full Labsystems rig - VP600 valve / MOSFET head and HP610 6x10" cab. It's .... very, very nice to own. Had to sell a testicle though:eek:

Anyone had experience with their pedals ... truetube & basskadet? i havent even tried them in a shop but i'd like to.

Man I like feeling my rig punch me in the kidneys :cool: :D :cool:

ps - speakers moving slowly (like 1-2 cycles per second) is right up there with HF feedback accompanied by sparks for getting this bassist concerned.

also - I A/Bed the vp600 with its non-valve counterpart, and the vp600 was definitely tastier to my ears. However, there's only 1 valve in there, so don't be thinking you'll get vintage SVT tube-style clipping out of one.
  19. ps to above (shameless plug) - if anyone's living in Sydney go see "dropping honey" play and you can hear it in action ...

pps mine's bigger :D [​IMG][​IMG]

one last thing - a tip while i remember. When you go to a studio, take a little camera. When you're done recording, before you pack up, take pictures of all your amps, pedals, basses, FX (including the engineers) - so you can replicate the sound later if you need to drop in / record more tracks / whatever.