1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Labeling Cables

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by L.A. Moore, Sep 19, 2008.

1. I'm looking for a way to label cables for ownership and usage. I'm thinking of getting a label maker but I need something that's gonna last. I'm just wondering if anyone has tips.

Thanks,
    L.A. Moore

2. I've always just used colored electrical tape. I tape mike and guitar stands as well since they seem to walk off at gigs.

P-touch and Brady are two label maker brands often used in the telecom industry. There are also many other labeling options used in telecom including simple books of label "stickers" that you can print or Sharpie info on. Not sure how all these options would hold up to abuse though - unlike music cables, telecom cables are run and left there.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    One of the more elegant and useful solutions I've seen is to use a label maker to print out a strip with your name and the length of the cable. Apply the label to the cable, then cover it with clear heat shrink tubing.

Get tubing that just barely fits over the connectors, because you'll want a snug fit.

4. Heat shrink - great idea!

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I've also seen opaque heat shrink that you can get printed with whatever you want, but there are some fixed setup costs that can make that impractical for most small users.

6. Thanks for the replies.

7. dirtygoat

dirtygoat

Sep 13, 2008
    I love the clear heat shrink idea...:cool:

I've been know to rub my private parts on my gear in front of people...

My stuff doesn't really wonder off...:D