1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LaBella 0760M-5 (Jamerson low B set)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tired_Thumb, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I ran a couple of varying searches to see what I could come up with (found nothing on the 0760M-5 set itself), but would like some extra input as I don't want to sink 60 bucks down the toilet on strings I don't like. Anyways, I know the Jamersons are huge and play tense, something I like as I like being forced to play light handed, and I'm looking to replace the strings on my fretless J. Some questions:

1) The low B string: this has happened to me with flats, and I've read about it here. I had a low B string on my bass that had less sustain than a snare drum, which prompted me to look to the EADGC tuning. I'm now considering restringing my bass BEADG, but I don't want a low B string that'll be completely dead and function more like a pitched djembe. With a good setup, will chances be that the low B has decent sustain? I'm guessing this relates to the flop factor, but I was never clear on that.

2) Obviously the high action JJ had on his P decreases the sustain of these strings. I have low action on my bass and liked the way the SM77's sustained into tomorrow. I don't need quite that much sustain if I can't get it, but will the Jamersons have at least a decent amount of sustain with low action?

Those are pretty much the questions I have, dumb as they are. Thanks in advanced from this complete dumb***. :bag: