1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Labella 1954 original flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Sep 5, 2017.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Anyone using these?

How do they compare to say my Fender 9050 flats in tension and tone?

The tension on the 9050s is a bit much for me, so i am considering other flats, maybe GHS flats since folks mention they are less tension then the 9050's.

I am thinking old school thumpy bass tone hence the Labella 1954 flats.

Are the Labellas suited to a P style bass more so than a J bass?

Thanks in advance!

2. If you can't handle the Fender 9050s, then the 1954 Originals are definitely not for you. Instead, try the La Bella 760FL (43-60-82-104). The same old-school thumpy goodness but without the extra tension/stiffness.

And yes, the GHS Precision Flats are also a good option for you as they're slightly more flexible than the La Bella flats.

I personally like the La Bella flats on my P and Fender 9050CL on my J.

mattj1stc and DavidEdenAria like this.
  3. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Thanks!

So the 1954 are closer to Fender 9050 in tension?

But the La Bella 760FL is less tension then my 9050's?

760 FL more thump than the GHS P flats or similar?

4. Which set of 9050 are you talking about?

The 1954s are stiffer than any of the 9050 sets.
    The 760FL is close to the 9050CL (45-60-80-105) in terms of overall playing feel.
    Both the La Bella flats and GHS P flats are generally considered to be "old-school", though not identical in tone.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  5. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Thanks.....thats what i was thinking, but wasnt sure i comprehended correctly!

6. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    try the Labella 760FL or the FX, they should do their work pretty well.

I'm a big fan of Labella flats, and I use the Original 1954, and I have to say that I consider Labella the easiest flats.

even the 52-73-95-110 gauge is playable, balanced and easy to setup. they are as tight as the Ernie Ball 50-105 roundwound (I switched from Ernie to Labella on a bass and to Labella to Ernie on another one, and in both cases the neck didn't move and I didn't have to tweak the truss rod), which says a lot!

FatStringer52 and DavidEdenAria like this.
  7. ^^^Truth^^^ The LaBella Jamerson set is the highest tension and stiffest set of flatwound bass strings in existence. A close second would be Rotosound's Steve Harris signature flats.

ColdEye, slagheap, FranF and 2 others like this.
  8. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Actually 1 set are 9050 CL.....not certain about the other 9050 set exactly, dont think they are 40 thru 100....thanks!

9. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Is your action really low? Only way i could see using the 1954 is if the action were low....i may actually try lowering the action a bit more on both sets of 9050 which are on 80's USA Peavey Fury and Foundation which have excellent necks but can be a bit of a chore to adjust the trussrod.

Both necks were way too bowed (loose)...i am arthritic at 58....i have to be very careful warming up....anyhow, i got the action pretty low on both basses with the 9050s......i must say i think i do like a 50 G string more but light on the other strings...may have to do a custom set?

10. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Thanks for the warning, errr info!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. Sounds like you might want to try the GHS Precision Flats 3025 set, 45-60-75-95. The A and E are slightly lighter than the G and D, and overall more pliable than the Fender 9050 or the La Bella 760FL.

12. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    yes, really low, but actually they aren't that stiff as one can imagine, at least for the left (fretting) hand.

13. Yes, lowering the action can help with the fretting hand, but not so much with the right hand for plucking. The OP with arthritic fingers may be better off with something lighter and more flexible.

14. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I gave them a shot (low action, near straight neck), and for me, the only way to make them work was to play as hard as I could all the time. Couldn't lighten up to play soft without losing tone. They just don't respond to a light touch, making dynamics impossible. The left hand was no problem, though.

DavidEdenAria and Son of Wobble like this.
  15. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2007
    The Jamerson's are like rebar - awesome if you (and your neck) can take it!

I can't so I play the LaBella low tension flats and I love them.

16. I put the Jamerson set on my American Standard P 3 months ago and could not be happier with my decision to do so.

I do not have any first-hand experience with the Fender 9050's, so I cannot offer you any comparison. I can tell you that the 1954 Originals have the most tension of any string that I have ever used. Not a bad thing for me, as a matter of fact, I'm kinda diggin'em (and I'm 65 years old with aches and pains all over, including the fingers). But if the Fender 9050's are a bit much for you, then the 760M's may not be the right choice for you. The 760FL's or the GHS may be just what you are looking for. Either would be an excellent string choice and would more than likely get you the tone you are looking for.

I would not say that La Bella's (in general) are more suited for a P than a J. However, I do not think that I would put the 760M's on my J bass. Just too much tension for that thin neck IMHO. I did purchase a set of La Bella 760FS's (.045, .065, .085, .105) in case I was not happy with the Jamerson set. I have not used this set (760FS) before, I was always a 760FL player. So I am thinking of stringing up one of my Jazz basses with them (760FS) the next time one needs a string change.

La Bella also has another set of lighter gauge flats. the 760FX's that you might want to take a look at. And, of course, they have a line of low-tension flats. I have no experience with either of these.

If you are any where near NE Texas you would be more than welcome to noodle around on my P bass with the Jamerson set . . .

17. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Bridge cables, I use them for C standard. They sound like Chromes to me. Chromes are my comfort zone in E standard. I never used Fender flats.

Cobalt Flats have less tension than Chromes so you might want to try those.

18. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I have the La Bella 760FM set, .049-.069-.089-.109

I have the same challenge with this set, i.e., I find I really have to dig in to get the full tone out of the strings.
    I took them off a fretted P bass and have been using them on a fretless jazz neck, which makes the strings a bit
    easier to manipulate. But I find even with this setup I have to play with my fingers to ring out the tone. It takes mass to move mass.

If OP hasn't tried Chromes, I'd have a look. I find I can get a much broader ranger out tones out of them.
    Whereas these 760FMs are both a lot of work and also, to use a guitar site fave, a bit of a "one trick pony." With the usual guitar site concession that "It's a good trick."

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  19. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    word. they are telephone line cables. in alan slutsky's book it says when JJ was working in l.a. and presented with a set of roundwounds, he screwed up his face and said " that's for pussies. "

20. I wouldn't recommend the Chromes to someone with arthritic hands who find the Fender 9050L too stiff.

Son of Wobble likes this.