1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LaBella 760-FL or 760-FS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by papa-bravo, Jan 17, 2015.

1. papa-bravo

papa-bravo

Jan 1, 2015
    I am a new bass player and looking at putting La Bellas on a MIA Fender P. I am looking for that old school thump. The questions are: Do I go with the 760-FL or the 760-FS? What is the difference in tone vs. tension?

2. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    Get the FL, more balanced in tension. You'll get the thump, no matter wich gauge; it depends on how the strings are made.
    Labella are always thumpy!

3. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Haven't tried the FL, but the FS is a great set for that classic thump.

4. DW747

DW747

Jan 17, 2015
    I have only tried the 760-FL. They are the best flat wound strings I have used. They do take a little while to break in and to get used to the tension. I also needed to make a truss rod adjustment after switching from rounds. I keep the action low and they have very little fret noise. They are smooth as silk on the fingers. And the sound is old school. Perfect for Motown and some classic '60s rock if that's what you are into.

5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I have a set of FS and just dont like the tension, looking for another set.

6. Had the 760FS on my P for a while. They'll definitely give you the thump you're looking for. The tension exerted on the neck isn't bad, in fact less than my D'adds, but they are a very stiff feeling string.
    In the end I found the La bellas just weren't very musical, so I took them off and went back to my D'addario Chromes 50-105.

Ahhh! Schmooveness!

Thom Fioriglio likes this.
  7. I have tried the 760 FL, FS and FM gauges. Currently I am using the FL...but they are real close to the FS in feel, tension and tone to me. The FM's are quite a bit heavier strings with more tension but they sound awesome.

Flatwound String Reviews

8. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I really like the FL's. These strings are not really low tension, so this gauge worked for me.

christle likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021