Labella 760fl vs sadowsky flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by deepestend, Nov 26, 2015.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    i love my sadowsky flats but the labelas are a bit cheaper. How different are the two? This is for my new Lakland hollowbody.

2. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I like some flexibility with my strings and I think I'm realizing that I really like the light version of both sets. I wonder if they both have the same tension/feel.

3. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I use both (sadowsky std gauge, and labella 760fl) and they feel somewhat similar. Tonewise the labellas knock it out of the park. Best...flats...ever. Great beginning tone that blooms into supportive yet articulate traditional flats tone. Thump with clarity. The archetype for tone heard on decades of hit music.

4. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Good to know. Maybe I'll just go ahead and order the labellas for my Lakland hobo.

5. The La Bella 760FL (43-60-82-104) would fall in between the Sadowsky Std (45-65-85-105) and the Sadowsky Lite (40-60-80-100) in terms of overall tension/feel.

What I like about the 760FL is the way they're better-balanced than either of the Sads. I just wish the Sads came with an option for 45-60-80-105.

6. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Interesting. I hadn't considered that the lb size is inbetween.

7. I was referring to the overall playing feel in terms of stiffness/flexibility. No idea on the actual tension figures (pulling weight in lbs.).

I like a set that feels even across all four strings, vs. the one with the middle two (D&A) being stiffer than the other two (G&E). The 760FL feels just right for me.

Pilgrim, deepestend and armybass like this.
  8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have played both but I am a LaBella 760FL man to the core. The Sadowskys are ok but nowhere near the tone and playability of the 760's.

TimB 619 and deepestend like this.
  9. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    This is good info. The feel is what is most important anyway.

10. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    My favorite LaBella sets are 760FS (45-105) or 760FM (49-109), so I prefer the Sads in normal gauge (45-105). Since the tension is not putting me off, I prefer the Sads because they seem less scooped to me sound-wise. LaBella flats are great, though, you can't go wrong with them for most music genres, IMO.

FWIW, I just ordered a spare set of Sads normal gauge to have ready for when I either get a new bass, or if the set I have on my main player breaks a string.

11. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Had a set of normal gauge Sadowskys on another bass. Put them on my lakland hollowbody tonight and they are magnificent. I'm thinking that I need to try the LaBellas as well for a comparison.

12. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Got the labellas today... Realized that the labella showroom is near my apt, so I stopped in. Just got them in and they sound good so far. Feel really nice but obviously need time to break in.

13. Threads like this always mess me up as curiosity tends to get the best of me every time.

Just when I thought my new Am Std P was forever married to the LB 760FL, here comes the Sadowsky!

I initially got the Sadowsky Flatwound Lite set (40-60-80-100) for my Jazz, but they didn't work out as well as I had hoped, so this almost-new set has been quietly sitting here rejected and dejected.

As magnificent as the 760FL is, I'm looking for something with a little less thump and a bit more grind and hoping these Sads will fit the bill, based on the rave reviews I've been reading around here.

We'll see...

14. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I have to say that I really love the feel and tension of the 760FLs. Not that I suddenly don't like the sadowskys because I think that they are perfect on my jazz clone. But the 760's provide just the right amount of definition and tension to my hollowbody's sound without being too rigid and clanky like the DR flats (anyone want to trade? :)).

Different tools for different jobs, but I'm glad that I gave the 760s a shot.

15. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Based on the one bass that I played with Sadowskys I wouldn't think you'll get grind or less thump. More like a different flavor of what the LaBellas already give you.

16. Based on my initial impressions of the Sadowsky Lite (40-60-80-100), which I just put on my Am Std P yesterday, you may have a point. They're not what I would consider "grindy"; rather, they're smooth and full-bodied with clarity. The smaller E (100 vs. 104) does seem to take away a bit of the "bottom heaviness" of the 760L, though. To me this is a good thing. :thumbsup:

When I tried this set on my Jazz a short while ago, I didn't like the way the 40G sounded rather tinny and twangy compared to the rest. No such issue on the P whatsoever. All four strings are very well-balanced both tonally and overall playing feel despite the smaller G and E compared to the 760FL. And yes, they do feel a little lighter (more supple) than the 760FL overall.

Looking forward to putting them to the test this weekend in a live band setting. ;)

Klonk likes this.
  17. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The only way to test equipment IMO. Look forward to hearing your assessment.

18. [​IMG]

19. I'm just here to take back what I said earlier...

I've only had the Sadowsky Lite (40-100) on my P bass for the last 24 hrs, but I'm already finding out they're good the way they are. They actually feel better than the 760FL without sacrificing the overall balance in terms of both tone and playability. :thumbsup:

This makes me very happy! :hyper:

Klonk likes this.
  20. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I found the sadowskys to give a nice and solid tine without the piano-like tone that I think is too much.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021