1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Labella 760M Jamerson Flatwound ??????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by davidsmashdrums, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Can my neck and bass handle these
    strings?

Labella Deep Talkin’ Jamerson Flats

this will go on my made in china Indian P bass style bass
    it has a maple neck with maple board 21 frets

I have chromes 40-60-80-100 on this bass now

don't know if my neck and trussRod can handle
    52-73-95-110

I really want super thump-ie flats the Jameson's are the thumpy-est right?

should I try the 49-109 set or the 45-105 set first?

or what about mixing D'addario sets:
    HALF ROUNDS BASS STRINGS ENR72 50-70-85-105 set with a
    D'addario HALF ROUNDS BASS STRINGS ENR73 - 55-110
    making a 50-70-90-110 half wound set?

thanks guys,

David

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Your neck will probably be fine. Even cheap basses can handle high tensions these days.

Why don't you try the 760FL set for a while? Then, if you want more heft, the 760FS set, then the 49-109 set, then the Jamersons in sequence. Might take a while, but you would eventually get there.

3. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Skip the 760FL set. The chromes are way higher tension than those. I have tried the LaBellas from 760FL to 760FM. They were all really bright and midrangey compared to DR flats. I found the LaBella 760FM to be ok, but on my P-bass there was too much high mid with those strings. Also, the thickness, not the tension, kind of bugged me. They are huge and feel like they are hollow on the inside.

4. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    The Jamersons are wonderful strings, but I'm lacking the hand strength to be very expressive with them. if I hit them hard they sound amazing, but I lack control and subtlety when playing them with a lighter touch(YMMV, and probably will).

The FL70 are a great balance of thump and they can really sing, too. I've never felt them to be overly high-mids orientated; Chromes are much brighter in this dept.

Personally I would try lighter gauge Labellas before the Jamerson set. If you still need more thump then go for it.

edited to add:

guroove, did you let the Labellas you tried break in first before making a judgment? They sound horrible at first, then fill out and achieve their 'true' voice.

5. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    No, I didn't mostly because I had tried the DRs on my jazz bass and loved them, although in the end they ended up on my P-bass.

I'm learning that they take time to break in as I have a set of the 760FL on my jazz now. I liked them on the jazz because I thought they sounded like roundwounds, and they are pretty nice for slapping. Even as they dull, they still have a nice response for that stuff where the DRs have this quick decay on the E string. I've always been big into muting, and I find that with the DRs I don't have to mute so much.

6. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I love the LaBella 760FL set. Wonderful strings. My Precision has never sounded better. They've been on for a couple months, now. I liked them right out of the package, but I wasn't going for the all thump no voice sort of sound.

7. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    I was thinking about the 760m for a while, but went with the 760FS for a more familiar gauge. I found that they carried more then enough thump and tension for me. Whatever you chose, La Bella flats are really nice.

8. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I love the 760FLs. I have them on 4 basses. I will replace the others with the 760FLs when it's time to change the strings

9. still GHS PressureWounds