Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Labella appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chris J, Apr 16, 2005.

1. I just restrung my Yamaha 5er with a set of Labella super steps (128-045 gauge) and all I can say is wow. What a great set of strings. I haven't been this happy with my tone in almost a year. This is on a budget bass through my 30watt practice amp. Granted the set of strings I had on before were over two years old.... Anyway, I don't know if it's the strings or the exposed cores but I find the B string to be really crystal clear and resonant. As opposed to a rumble with a hint of a B note but an octave up. What a great set. And cheaper than the DRs I used to get too! :p

2. I think I'm gonna be sticking with labella for a good long while now that I've tried them out. So far it's just us two fans....we're so punk. Labella is too underground to be cool.... :D

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I tried a set of DR Hi-Beams once and I loved them, but they aren't available here, so I play LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels. Great strings! The best ones I can get IMO, and much cheaper than D'Addario XL's, which are considered "the finest" in my town. They may be good, but I prefer steels over nickels.

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I put the 760FL set of LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats on my Precision last August, and they are still on there and still sounding great and what a great feel too!

But for my fretless basses, I still prefer the TI Flats.

5. That's strange. Here D'Addario XLs cost around $25-30 a pack whereas these labellas cost me $45 with taxes. Maybe it's the shipping costs?

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I agree it's strange, since most of the times nickels are cheaper. Maybe it's a nonsense, but from a long, long time I've felt that LaBella is considered a second-rate brand compared with D'Addario by players here, and maybe the dealers know that. I remember that sometimes D'Addario Prisms (steels - now discontinued AFAIK) could be found here, but they were really expensive! Never tried them because only 4-string sets were brought, and the price difference with a 5-string set of Hard Rockin' Steels was BIG.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    LaBella's run me $18.50 a set for Hard Rockin' Steels, while D'Addario XL's are only $18.00. Most of the time I use the HRS's due to their great tone, however, the XL's lend themselves better to my vintage Precision, but everything else will be strung with LaBella's.

On that note, LaBella is awesome! Even used HRS Piccolo Bass strings, and lo and behold, I screwed up and broke my D string while tuning, emailed them to get a single string replacement and they sent it free, PLUS a tshirt! Wonderful customer service too!

8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hard Rockin Steels!
    LaBella have a great "B" string.
    I also like slappers nickel sometimes, and super steps for fretless.

Laurence

9. I recently got my first set of LaBella strings, the Hard Rockin' Steels D-G-C-F set, and these things are awesome. They sound and feel great. I never thought I'd dig a set of stainless steels, but these strings have me thinking about LaBellas for all my basses.