labella black flat wound

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Steve Killingsworth, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Anyone have any experience with Labella 7710 black nylon flatwound? Someone offered me a new set for $100--approximately $30 cheaper that anywhere else I have seen. I am prolly willing to part with the cash just to try them out but am just curious before I buy. I play no arco by the way.
  2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I liked them for a few months, but the low tension lost its novelty when they lost their brightness..
  3. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I used them for about six months or so, they're OK. Didn't seem to have much volume on my American Standard. Mostly depends on what you want. I now use Piastro Eudoxas - more money, better sound for me. One thing I have found out about a DB habit - it's expensive.
  4. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I've been curious about the Labella 7710 strings myself. Are they a low tension string? I read somewhere that they aren't. What is the diameter like on the E ?

I like the idea of a nylon string with a steel core.

I tryed the Erosonics for a while but could never get use to that HUGE E string.

How would you compare the tension of the 7710 to say weich's or some other more popular string.

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    These strings are played by Ron Carter, Buster Williams and Mads Vinding. (not the Ron Carter from the Miles Davis era, but the contemporary Ron Carter tone)
    If you like that kind of growl and sustain you may like them. I found them to be lower tension than usual steel strings, but not that much.
    The thicker gauge and smooth nylon wrap has a very nice touch.
    In my memory the D and G were very twangy though.
    The sound is very bright at first, and they break in after several weeks. (I don't like that brightness)
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I played 'em on a carved bass that belongs to a buddy. Lower tension than Weich. I could fly around like Eddie Gomez on those strings. Not too much volume. I was playing in a jazz duo with a guitarist, and it was okay for that. I prefer my Weich setup, which is stiffer and more dynamic.
  7. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah it was primarily the lack of volume that was the final straw for me, and I went back to Weichs. They do have nice growl though.
  8. I just had a chance to try Black nylon on my friend's new carved bass. It is 6 months old already. At first glance, its size is bigger than normal steel strings I've used, especially E and A. Its tone is still bright to my ear. It has some growl, but very difficult to bow. IMO, I prefer Obligato or Innovation 140H with the same price range.
  9. Just wanted to revive an old thread and put my own experience on this one.

Just moved from Helicore Hybrids (Medium) to the Labella Blacks. I love them so far. They have a very unique tone that is lost in the majority of strings that I have played on (Spiro, EP, Helicore). The feel is great. The tension on the E and A as previously noted, is a little hard to get used to at first and at first glance it IS hard to bow. I'm getting used to it though and am loving it every time I get back on the bass.

I do see the complaints about volume though. My E string doesn't boom like it used to. But in terms of feel, playability, and my personal concept of my bass sound, it's almost right on the money. I'm right on the edge in which they're starting to break in and lose that brightness. I'm quite excited for the result.
  10. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Wait until the Presto Jazzicato set is out!

I don't know when they'll be available in North America through JR Supply though.
    The Prestos are called Eurosonics on this side of the pond.
  11. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Jazzicato -- how cool!

I spent some time on the labellas -- enjoyed them but moved on to Obligatos and now partially back to Spiros.

I could see trying the new Prestos for fun & profit someday!
  12. I have LaBella 7710s on my '42 Kay and Weichs on my '34 Jaeger. The LaBellas are a bit spongier. They also seem to project more than the Weichs, but I can't say for sure because the Kay is generally louder than the other bass to begin with. I like both strings, for different reasons. For one thing, the tapes just don't bow. (Weichs are great for bowing, but at least it's possible.

For what it's worth, my teacher has the LaBella tapes on all three of his basses, but when he heard and played the Weichs on my Jaeger, he talked about switching!

This string thing is so fleeting. Last weekend I drove to Ohio for a bass workshop and played a couple of basses strung up with guts. It got me thinking that maybe I should .................
  13. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Welcome to the dark side...
  14. Steve,
    Sorry to be dark, but I can find nothing good about Labella's black nylon 7710s. Superbright compared to Obligatos and such...horrific for bowing. low volume/projection compared to other strings.
    Perhaps I didn't let them stay on long enough to break in properly, or perhaps they just didnt work on my instrument (tried them on a travel bass I use).
    And frankly, I am not a fan of the modern Ron Carter/Buster Williams sound, so they are just not for me.
    If you're still interested after my negative review, I have a set, used for a week and played minimally, you can take them for $80 shipping included to continental US. I'd love to see these things out of my house.
  15. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    They use a steel rope-core, while the Obligatos use a synthetic core.
    They don't compare at all, in fact.
  16. eh it's all subjective. that's the downfall of these string threads anyways. someone's most hated tone may be the holy grail for someone else.
  17. This is REALLY true.

I have to admit though, I tried the Labellas for about 15 minutes a bunch of years ago and didn't care for them. They stayed on for two gigs and then came off. I put them on my back up bass and left them on for a few months but I never played the bass because I didn't like the sound of the bass with the Labellas on. It was long enough ago that I don't remember the details of why I didn't like them though. I didn't hate them as much Mr. Kneeland apparently does but they didn't work for me either.

18. Ha!
    Maybe it was also the combination of the bass I tried them on, an old Juzak plywood...the sound was just completely tinny and brittle beyond the low end, and the E string growl was nasal no matter how high I raised the action.
    A set of Thomastiks or Obligatos and suddenly the full frequency range returned to the instrument, it was completely bowable and sounded great and the volume/projection returned.
    Just my experience using that instrument...but I knew instantly the character of the sound wouldn't work for me.
    but dont get me wrong, I actually use the nylon string Black Labellas on a 5 string fretless Rick Turner Renaissance bass, and absolutely love the sound there. For electric, ironically, I wouldn't go with any other string, very distinctive tone, full bodied and warm and pliant.
    But for upright (my primary ax), Labella Black Nylons have ended up being my least favorite string out of everything I've tried.
  19. kurt

Mar 15, 2004
    Edmonton A.B. Canada
    If you like the feel of nylon strings but don't like a nasal bright tone you should try Innovation rockabilly strings. The tension is extremely low but not as low as plain gut, so they're really easy to play. They're especially good for slapping but I'm finding that I like the tone for jazz pizz too. They're quite dark compared to most steel strings but I kind of like that because it gets rid of all that nasalness. They have a thumpier sound than most steel strings too but that gives you a more percussive attack, great for walking and up tempo stuff, but still enough sustain for ballads and such. Not having all those mids does take a little getting used too. It's harder to hear your intonation at first but learning to EQ my amp a little different cleared that up

They don't have a lot of volume though so if you do a lot of acoustic gigs they may not be good for you. I think that through the amp you get more of an impression of an acoustic tone cause of the old school sound.

Bowing on them isn't great but still workable, definitely better than most other nylon strings I've tried.

They're also easy on your fingers and your fingerboard which is important if you slap. I think they're a good compromise between steel and gut strings.

After years of searching for a hybrid string for Jazz pizz, arco and slapping, I tried steels, tungsten, nylon core steel wound, steel core nylon wound, and now all nylon I think I've found my string.

Then I saw that add for the jazzicatos. Maybe I'll have to try them at least once....:rollno: