Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LaBella Black Nylon Tape Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pointbass, Apr 12, 2005.

1. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Anyone here using these strings? I couldn't really find too much on the TB search ..... :(

I have an FBB fretless 6 that I've been considering putting the black nylons on. I use LaBella flats right now, but was wondering what the black nylons do for the tone, if anything. Any opinions or comments are appreciated, thanx :D

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I love the black nylons.

They've got that flatwound thud, but with more high end and high mids. Kind of like a flatwound with all of the warmth, but none of the mud.

3. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I just put those on my Takamine Acoustic-Electric (fretted). I used them mainly so that they wouldn't give me as much fret buzz as nickel or steel strings, but I also have found that they are much more "rounded" in sound and are actually louder, which makes a difference to me since they're on an acoustic. ;)

I don't know if that helps you at all, but you can't say I didn't try :smug:

4. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I like them a lot on my fretless! Flat with booty and ping. They really sound and feel good to me. Only drawback you might have would be if your bass hums when you aren't touching the strings or bridge. These won't ground you to your bass while you're playing...

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    How are these with electric fretted basses? Are you able to get a good slap sound wit these?

6. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Hey, thanks for the information .....

Sonorous: That's kind of what I heard, nice kind of thud sound but with more mids.

mnolansoc: I always thought the black nylons were just an acoustic string and not really for electric basses. I've played them on ABG's and you're right, they did seem to be louder (or maybe just a fuller sound) :confused:

Wademeister63: Fortunately, no bass "buzz/hum" at all for me.

RevGroove: You can use them with a fretted bass, but I wouldn't know about their "slap-ability". I'm only interested in them for my fretless

I'm going to give 'em a shot and see what happens. Suckers are a little expensive (~$60 thru juststrings.com), about the same as a set of 6 string flatwounds. Again, thanks for the opinions .... I'll let you know what happens :cool:

7. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
  8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Oh, also... they're a bit thicker than most strings I think.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
  10. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
  11. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Many others have posted here that Carvin indeed does sell only the Extra Long set of 5, presumably so it fits their 35" 5ers. Advice is to buy the 5 set from Carvin and get the high C as a single from juststrings or similar.

Try a search for "nylon" in the strings forum. Lots and lots of info and opinions.