Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LaBella Black Nylon Tapewounds - Soundclip

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lokire, Dec 18, 2005.

1. I'd been wanting to try a set of these forever and I got my chance today :) . Let's just say that I like them a lot. They're very smooth feeling and seem to have pretty low tension (in a good way). They're very easy to play. They sound very sweet and warm, but not as much as I might have guessed. It's almost like a cross between Flatwound and Roundwound strings. Slapping sounds great as well.

I put 'em on my Ken Lawrence bass, and with the bass EQ turned up a good ways and the neck pickup blended about 90%, it makes for a very good upright emulation. :bassist:

Here's a quick soundclip I recorded with them (part of a Jazzy/Swing song I'm doing bass for):

http://www.artistcollaboration.com/users/loki/Shake Demo.mp3

I'm loving the sound so far. It'll be a nice contrast to the Warwick Streamer Stage II I've got coming next week :D

2. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I'd love to hear how they sing up higher, especially on the bridge pickup... :)

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love the acoustic version on my Tacoma, I'm thinking of putting a 6 string set on my Brice 6 fretless.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I thought there was only one version of the La Bella tapewounds? Never heard of there being separate acoustic and electric versions.

I'm thinking of trying a set of these on my fretless ABG also. Just haven't tried it because I'm pretty sure it would mean fussing with the nut.

5. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    oops, I was under the impression that this was on a fretless. Sounds pretty good though.

I'd like to hear some on my fretless :) Had the desire to try some flats (never have on it, as the fretboard will tell you :( ) and these caught my attention as another option.

Thanks for the clip.

6. Haha, nope. Though in the mix, if you're careful, it can sound a bit like a fretless. Since there's so little fret noise from the nylon tape.

In a few weeks I'll probably take them off my Ken Lawrence and put them on a Washburn fretless I have instead, to see how they sound on a fretless. Once/if I do that, I'll be sure and post again :)

7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

make a Tape wound called PRO-FORMULA, its all I used for years.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

8. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't know if they are different strings, but Carvin sells this set of LaBella tapewounds as "Acoustic Bass Strings". They sound, feel, and look great on my Tacoma, that's why I'm putting a 6 string set on the fretless Brice. I just wish they sold a 6 string set at Carvin because their price on these is really fantastic.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think they're the same strings--Carvin just calls 'em that because they put them on their AC series basses!

You can buy 6 string sets a couple of places, for around $60 IIRC, but I'm pretty sure it's still cheaper to get a 5 string set from Carvin and a single high string somewhere else.

10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I got a set for my 6 string Brice from www.juststrings.com for $50. They look and feel great on the Brice but I haven't tried it plugged in really yet, just installed and set up the bass. I was installing other strings on other basses at the same time.

Here's the real funny part. On the back of the LaBella string set there's a picture of Chuck Rainey with an endorsement, something to the effect of "I use LaBella black nylon tapewound strings on all my horizontal acoutic basses". He's holding a beautiful Tacoma Thunderchief which is strung with phosphor bronze strings!

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
  12. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    you guys convinced me to order a 5 string set from carvin

they should be here soon. I'm going to put them on my GL L2500

Also these are the strings Raphael Saadiq uses on his bass btw