1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LaBella Black Tapewounds Ground Buzz Issue

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bass 45, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hello

I very much like the feel and sound of LaBella's black tape wounds strings. I have been using them (with no issues) since the '90's - starting on my '94 Standard P-Bass and later on my '82 Walnut P-Bass special.

More recently I put a set on my CIJ '51 P and after installing the tapewounds the bass was making a ground buzz - unless I touched the bridge or tuners - I assumed it had something to do with the single coil pickup-so I put the chromes back on.

Fast forward a couple years and I put a set on my 2000 Ampeg AMB1 bass and my 1967 Ampeg AUB-1 bass - and both instruments have the buzz now. The AMB1 has a large Basslines humbucker and the AUB-1 has a vintage P-Bass style pu (maybe an Ibanez P4?). They were both quiet (when I was touching the strings) with chromes installed (the AUB-1 is grounded at the tailpiece).

It's really bumming me out because the short scale AMB1 sounds better than ever (less the buzz) and I've tried a few different types of strings on that bass - and the vintage fretless Ampeg has truss rod/neck issues which are solved with the black tapewounds - which help make the instrument a pleasure to play now (again - less the annoying buzz when the tone knob is turned up).

Does anyone know of a fix for this tapewound grounding issue?

Thank you, Rich M.

bass.

2. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    This is not a "tapewound grounding issue" just a grounding issue. Instruments should be quiet when no one touches them, this is a basic principle :D

Root 5 likes this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have same problem with Labella copper white nylon but still in my acceptable range.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK SUSPENDED Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Any tape wounds will do that.

Winton, CapnSev and Root 5 like this.
  5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK SUSPENDED Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    edit to add - unless your instrument is grounded differently...

jd56hawk likes this.
  6. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    There is absolutely no problem with the strings. They only prevent some additional grounding from happening through the player when the guitar has an issue because nylon is not a conductor. Wound strings provide a sloppy workaround to a problem elsewhere.

jd56hawk likes this.
  7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Indeed. The only real, total cure are EMG pickups that don’t require a bridge ground.

thunderberg likes this.
  8. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Thank you - I will get this figured out.

Plugging in various stock instruments in my studio - I have confirmed that they do produce buzzing when I am not touching the steel strings.

It seems that only myself - and many of the major mass producers of musical instruments who have been prospering for decades are the only ones who have not figured out this "basic principle" ;)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  9. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I also had that Issue and I just removed a small piece of the nylon where the string contacts the bridge solved the problem and did not change the sound.