LaBella BNT strings revisited

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sundogue, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, after alot of searching and many attempts at getting info on strings, I finally got a set of Labella "Deep Talking" Black Nylon Tapewounds (BNT) for my Peavey Cirrus.

The standard set from Carvin fits my extra long scale bass (37" from ball end to over the nut). They were only $32 (including shipping).

Over 20 years ago, I recall using BNT strings on a Rick 4001 bass. I'm not sure what brand they were...probably Rotosound at that time. But I remember really loving the tight punchy sound I had back then.

Well, after years of playing countless numbers of gigs and doing tons of session work with all kinds of roundwounds and flatwounds, I'm back to the sound I started out with.

I went through the phases of the Chris Squire and Stanly Clarke Super Bright and clanky, popping sounds...with a myriad of string types. I went through the period of flatwounds for that fat but smooth sound.

It's amazing how when I was growing up (in age and bass experience) my bass idols were Paul McCartney, John Paul Jones et al. All these years have past and now I've come full circle...back to that sound I love so much.

Anyway, after putting the strings on and making the necessary adjustments to the truss rod and intonation, I put these new BNT's to the test. God, I love these strings!!! After all these years I feel like I finally have my own I'm using my bass the way it was intended for me.

The LaBella BNT's are so uniquely clear, and bright for a "flatwound" (which are actually roundwound, but have the black nylon tape over them). They have a very distinctive upright bass sound to them. They feel buttery smooth with a tension that is not sloppy, nor tight...but just that perfect feel that allows me to play without thinking about it.

The Peavey Cirrus, with it's perfectly sized/shaped neck and the ultra-smooth tung oil finish is beautifully complemented by the LaBella BNT's. The movement of my hand is so slick and easy over the neck and strings that I feel as though i'm almost playing nothing at all. I had felt that the Cirrus alone made a huge difference in my playing as for the first time, I felt I was playing a bass that I didn't have to fight with...but with the addition of the BNT's, it is all pure music now...I play and react to the music now, instead of playing and reacting to the bass. The combination is so..."zen-like".

The strings themselves actually have a very smooth feel to them. The sound brings out the very beautiful acoustic properties of the Cirrus perfectly. There is no metallic sound to the strings at all, yet they are very bright anddistinct. The heavier gauge (.060, .070, .097, .115, .128 low B) allows me to play anywhere and get more of the fundamental note, even on the D and G strings.

All in all, the LaBella BNT's are strings that I feel would be used on more of a classical stringed instrument...and they bring out "my" sound exactly as I've intended. For those of you who are considering flatwounds after years of playing roundwounds, I suggest you give these LaBella BNT's a try!!!
  2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    People around here are probably sick of me repeating myself, but these are MY strings. I have them on fretted and fretless, four and five. They sound really cool with a pick, too. I love that old school tone.
  3. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    anybody else try these on a fretted bass ? I want to .

I just did a search to find where you got a five set for that price - (and they didn't have the BNTs listed at the carvin site I got to ) -
    but I did find a site that mentioned you could not use these with a passive pickup like a p-bass with the grounding to the bridge -

is that true ? any way around that !
  4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Here is the link to Carvin's page that has the Labella BNT's...

They should work with any electric bass, passive or active, as the strings are actually stainless steel roundwounds, but are wrapped with nylon tape.

I have absolutely no grounding or humming problems. Of course my Peavey Cirrus bass is 100% quiet in the first place. But there is no grounding issue.
  5. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I wanted to bump this old thread.

I recently purchased a custom fretless/maple fingerboard with the Carvin Black Nylon strings on them. They really sound amazing If you have a fretless you owe it to yourself to try a set of these.