LaBella Classical Nylon Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Sacchetti, Nov 7, 2005.

1. I have been wanting to get one for several years!
    Iam staying in NY for a couple of months to help out my mother and forgot to bring a bass with me.

I realized I was going crazy without a bass to play.
    So naturally I needed one fast. :D

I have always had a thing for ABG's and have had a few in the past.
    I wanted a bass that would not require me getting a rig. Now was the time to get the La Bella I had major gas for.
    I purchased it from Matt Umanov in NYC, The choice was btwn a fretted and a fret less one and I went for the fretted one. It was cheaper. :) They are busy preping it.
    I will have it by Friday and will make a full report asap.

Classical body with rosewood back and sides with a red cedar soundboard.
    Fingerboard and bridge are ebony and the bass is strung classically with Labella nylon strings.
    34" scale Fishman pup with pro eq onboard.

The LaBella just sings wth warmth.

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I'd be interested in that, too, but I can't find any kind of reference to it on the web. Do you have any links for it? Otherwise, I'll wait to hear about yours (post pics!).
  3. There is none. I had stumbled across it when Joey had one in his shop, NY GUITAR & BASS, several years ago. I fell in love with it right away but couldnt pull the trigger just then.

Matt Umanov carries them for Labella.
    It seems it is a labor of love for the people at LaBella. They have been refining it over the years and are slow to roll it out.
    When I am in NYC I make a point to stop at Matts and play the ABG. They always have one or two and tell me they sell alot of them.
  4. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    i played the fretless at Matt Umanov....great sound. Its a unique instrument for sure. What struct me was how the fretboard was very flat--most unusual compared to the typical radius.

Is your fretted the same way?
  5. Well, that would make sense, as classical guitars have flat fingerboards. Sounds like an awesome bass, and I'm looking forward to pics and a review.
  6. Yes the fretted one is flat. I was going to get the fretless because the sound was so organic but I chickened out due to it not having any side markers on the neck. Go figure huh!!
    I wanted something I wouldnt have to concentrate on the intonation, a no brainer so I could reach that medative state from playing.
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I played that at Umanov's, briefly, but I could have sworn it was 30" scale, not 34".
  8. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    This sounds like something I would like! How much was it? Please get some pics!
  9. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I don't know the LaBella, but I've played a few Spanish made classical ABG's, and I might get one someday. The nylon strings take some getting used to, as the kinda "roll" under your right hand fingers. But they sound sweet. Obviously (like all ABG's) they need amplification in real use.