Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Labella Deep Talkin' 760: Light or medium?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PhilMan99, Jan 11, 2006.

1. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I'm thinking seriously of moving from TI to Labella 760s, and I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the "light" vs. the "medium" gauges. I notice the "medium" is quite close to the "Jamerson" set.

I'm not trying to compare TI to Labella here (there's another thread for that), but I'm not sure if I want "light" or "medium".

I think I'd like the increased "low thud" of the mediums, but I'd be very interested in any trade-offs between the 760 light and medium gauges regarding:
    * Sustain
    * Overall tone
    * Playability

2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I have a set of "lights" on a JB-2, really like em. This particular JB-2 is a very bright sounding bass, the 760's do a good job smoothing things out. That's not to say they sound dark. They sound lively with good sustain (I use a CS-1 tho). A little more effort to play than TI's (duh) but not anything like Roto 77's.

Last week I put a set of "mediums" on a SB-2. They are wider (109) but feel the same as the lights to me. I can hear some extra thud, and there's a tad less snarl. I don't like them on the SB-2 as much, so they're coming off soon. They'll go on a DJ next, we'll see how they do with Aeros.

3. I just ordered a set of mediums for my P. Cant comment because they havent arrived yet!

I have the lights on my Warwick fretless and they have a real nice feel and they sure thump. The tension is very good, not too tight and not too loose. Nuff said.

4. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Don't mean to detour from the purpose of this thread, but could some of you who have used various gauges of Labella Flats please tell me what the silk wrap color is on the different gauges?

I called Labella, and a sales person told me the following... but wasn't 100% sure:

760FX Extra Light = Red Silk

760FL Light = Blue Silk

760FM Medium = Black Silk

Can anyone confirm that?

5. My light guage deep talking flats have orange silk.

6. parttimeluthier

parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    The silk wrapping on my 760FM's are royal blue. And by the way they sound great. Absolutely my favorite strings by far.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    My 760FL lights have red silk.
    My 760FS standards have black silk.