Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats - NICE!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Philbiker, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    After switching to the nylon tapewound Labella Deep Talkin' Bass flats for my Tacoma and loving them I decided to give their regular electric flats a try on my Dean Edge 5 fretless. I really liked the Fender roundwound "Super Bass" strings on there (and I saved them of course) but was hankerin' for a change. The Fenders are 3 years old and have been making marks in that beautiful unlined rosewood fingerboard.

I was concerned that the strings wouldn't fit my 35" Dean so we pulled the "B" string out of the package and it measured up to a 35" Cirrus in the store no problem. Unfortunately when I put all five strings on the "E" was far too short, the winding going up to about between F and F#. Actually the "wound-out" part of the string was on the nut. No good. All the rest of the strings fit perfectly!

Well, LaBella to their credit replaced the string for free, good customer service!

I jammed out a little in my music room and boy, I really like these strings! I suspect I'll like them even more when they're broken in (about 6 months from now). I can't wait to try them out on Sunday in church! The intonation was kind of a PITA on the "E" string, I had to crank it all the way back to get it to properly intonate at the "12th fret" location. Otherwise, the installation and setup was easy as pie.

If you're considering flats for your fretless, try the LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass flats, they're the bees knees!

2. Have you ever tried the Fender 9050's? I have the 9050's on my Jazz and they produce a nice thump, but they feel a little sticky. I wanna check out the Deep Talkin's here pretty soon.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No, these are the first flats I've tried in over 20 years!!!

4. Well, then welcome back to the dark side of the bump, where all you hear is thump! :D