Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LaBella Flat users educate me.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Just wondering wht preference you LaBella players have as far as guage of LaBella flats. I have just gotten a few sets of the 45-105 but have not tried them yet. I know the lighter guage is real popular and that there is a Jamerson guage that is like through a 110 or something.

Also, how do you feel about the string life of your LaBella's? I am really looking to get that Jamerson tone but the 110' are too heavy, I'm hoping the Standard guage will work well.

Any input is appreciated.

Scott

2. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Really, I could have sworn that I read about Jamerson using LaBella's. Maybe it was someone else.

I am down with the foam but I just use a rag or a cloth.

OK, more specific, how do the LaBellas feel in comparrison to other brands of flats?

3. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Yeah Treena, it specifically states in the Standing in the Shadows of Motown book that Jamerson used LaBella Flatwound strings exclusivley.

On page 85 it states "The strings were exclusively heavey guage LaBella flat wounds that usually were not changed unless they broke."

They even have a photocopy of the pack of strings that james used.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Yet D'Addario acoustic bass guitar strings sound so different from Martins it's incredible. Rotosound flats sound incredibly different than Fender flats. An Elite Ken Smith has different tymbres and harmonics with D'Addarios compared the stock Ken Smith strings. No offense, if you can't hear the difference then shopping is easier.

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I've tried a decent range of flats including: Rotosound, Dean Markley, TI, Fender, Daddario, GHS, Ernie Ball, several no-name brands and have settled on LaBella's as my flats of choice.

Why?

Because unlike Treena's experience I have found that there is actually a significant difference among the various strings interms of tone, feel, and tension. Dean Markley's are very dark sounding and aren't built very well. TI's...a very expensive mistake, like playing dinky rubber bands. Rotosound, the brightest middiest flats with the texture of a rasp. On and on...

I like the LaBella's becasue they give me the sound I like in flats, very thumpy, not a lot of high mids but with just enough treble presence to make eq'ing possible. I am currently using the medium gauge, after graduating from the lights. The heavier gauges do sound boomier but not hugely so. I have tried the Jamerson set and while it was very phat sounding, it was too much trouble keeping my neck at a bow I liked. I had a set last me 4 years before I broke the E with careless Dee Dee Ramone style picking.

Treena, you don't believe everything you read in books or see in movies yet you cite BP as a source? :rolleyes:

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Ummm, well....no duh. Didja also know that if you hit your toe with a hammer, it'll hurt no matter the brand of the hammer?

I did read your post... it didn't add any pertinent info to the discussion at hand which was:

If you have nothing to add, save the bandwidth and the dim bulbs for yourself.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well...seeing as how this thread now makes no sense because someone deleted all their posts in the thread. (which i kinda have a problem with, BTW) i'm locking this down.

if i knew what the heck we were arguing about, perhaps i wouldn't have to :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.