1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Labella flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rochishin, Mar 2, 2008.

1. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    Can anyone tell me (who has experiences with both the 760fl and 760fs sets), if there is that much of a difference in string tension between the two? I've seen one other post here on TB but nobody answered it.
    Thanks.

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Sorry, no idea, but I have read a few times where posters found the FS to be extremely bright and very different sounding from the other DT flat sets.

3. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    Really? weird...I wonder why there would be such a difference. I remember reading somewhere on TB that the thicker the flatwound string the "thumpy/thuddier" which I would assume meant less trebly? Thanks for your reply One Drop.

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    No experience yet. I just ordered a 760-fl set. I should have them in a few days, and I expect to gig with them this weekend. I still won't be able to compare them with the 760-fs though...

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    My only guess is that they use a different alloy in the core or wrap.

The big Labella Jamersons do sound like bigger thumpier FLs, though. I had a set on my jazz for a long time and they were monstrously huge, but I prefer the 760FL set for their midrange articulation.

I think the Jamersons are fabulous on a P bass myself.

6. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I'm using the FM's (49-109) on a G&L SB-2 (old style jazz bass) and the FS (45-105) on a MIJ P-Bass. The FS-(Standards) are definitely brighter than the mediums but I like both. I haven't noticed a difference in tension yet. But there has been numerous warnings in this forum about using the Jamerson set (heavy gauge). High tension and potentially dangerous to older necks with issues.

7. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    I like the "idea" of the Jamerson flats but the reality of the higher tension on the neck :eek: I've never tried them so maybe they are okay after all...or not I dunno, I guess I'll eventually have to try them.

8. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    Would that mean the Fl's would be even brighter than the Fs'?

9. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    bump!

10. lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I haven't tried them but would think so. FL=light, FS=Standard, FM=Medium

11. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    lmfreeman9, would you know how the tension of the FS' compares to DR nickel lo-riders or the strings that ship on the new Am. St. p-basses?

12. Doo Wop

Doo Wop

Apr 26, 2007
    , Maryland
    I have used both. Always used FS's and tried the FL's once. Now for me, and IMO the Fl's tension felt a lot lighter. I know if you look at the gauges of the strings, there isn't much difference, but to me I could feel the difference with the FS's having a higher tension, which I like. Yes the FS's are a little brighter, but still sound great when they are new, but when they break in they really sound great.

13. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    Sorry if this sounds stupid but, the FS's sound brighter compared to the FL's, right? Also, how do the FS's (and FL's for that matter) feel tension wise compared to roundwounds. I keep asking because I just got a new Am. Std. p-bass and would like to put flats on it. I like a higher tension string but not one that is going to f with the neck. I use 45-105 roundwounds regularly.

14. lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I don't know-I've heard the Lo-Riders are high tension. The FS and FM both feel comfortable to me-neither high nor low.

15. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008