1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LaBella Flatwound Jamersons

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GreginOKC, Sep 26, 2002.

1. GreginOKC

GreginOKC

Sep 26, 2002
    Hi,

Anyone ever tried these flats? I just bought my first "good" bass, a Fender 50th Anniv Precision and I want to get it strung with flats. I play fingerstyle, mainly 50s/60s rock & soul.

Thanks!
    Greg

2. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    I played these strings for years (from the mid 60's through the early 70's) and they sounded great - but they are extremely heavy! Your bass will need to gradually get used to it and for a few months you'll be adjusting the truss rod frequently. You can forget about slapping.

I recently tried a set of Fender 9050s - a little lighter than the Labella set and also Stainless Steel. I strung one bass with them and kept rounds on the other. They sound fine and they don't mess with the truss rod as much. When I want to switch off for whatever reason I do. In all honesty I'm using the flats most often and I love the sound. I settled in on reletively high action because the strings sound better like that - IF that's the sound that you want. So...if you want a Jamerson, Chuck Rainey (although I think he used Fender Lights with a Round E), Duck Dunn sound...give flats a try and in my opinion don't go lighter than an .050 for the G.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I dig the tone of them, but the E string won't fit a string-thru p-bass.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I always used 'em on my black '64 Precision. But I don't play it anymore. The strings always sounded better after about a year! If you want old-school thump, they'll give it to you.