LaBella Flatwound Jamersons

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GreginOKC, Sep 26, 2002.

1. GreginOKC

Sep 26, 2002

Anyone ever tried these flats? I just bought my first "good" bass, a Fender 50th Anniv Precision and I want to get it strung with flats. I play fingerstyle, mainly 50s/60s rock & soul.

2. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    I played these strings for years (from the mid 60's through the early 70's) and they sounded great - but they are extremely heavy! Your bass will need to gradually get used to it and for a few months you'll be adjusting the truss rod frequently. You can forget about slapping.

I recently tried a set of Fender 9050s - a little lighter than the Labella set and also Stainless Steel. I strung one bass with them and kept rounds on the other. They sound fine and they don't mess with the truss rod as much. When I want to switch off for whatever reason I do. In all honesty I'm using the flats most often and I love the sound. I settled in on reletively high action because the strings sound better like that - IF that's the sound that you want. So...if you want a Jamerson, Chuck Rainey (although I think he used Fender Lights with a Round E), Duck Dunn sound...give flats a try and in my opinion don't go lighter than an .050 for the G.
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I dig the tone of them, but the E string won't fit a string-thru p-bass.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I always used 'em on my black '64 Precision. But I don't play it anymore. The strings always sounded better after about a year! If you want old-school thump, they'll give it to you.