Labella flatwound vs GHS flatwounds for playing jazz and what gauge ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cocoune, Nov 12, 2017.

1. cocoune

cocoune

Jan 28, 2012
    Hi,
    Im playing mostly jazz and have chromes flat on my jaco fretted bass. Its to bright and have a kind of scoop sound. I read alot on those 2 sets of strings and im pretty sure to buy GHS strings. But we never know what ppl play here... I mean i dont care if you like this or this if youre playing rock. Thats why i ask. I play jazz. Well a vintage sound that i can put anywhere. Maybe you guys can suggest me a set of tapewound too ? Like black nylon strings ?

And my last question is for the gauge. I play 45-100 chromes now. Its not that tight on my bass and kinda dislike extreme low tension strings. What gauge do you recommend for the GHS. The regular seems really big and im worried that its to much and feel akward. But i heard the the ghs medium have lower tension than chromes (and still bigger).

Thanks alot and sorry for my english writing.

e-flat likes this.
  2. GHS has recently introduced a new set, CM3050 45-60-80-105, which are one of the best balanced sets available in terms of overall tension. They're not as stiff as the Chromes, either.

Root 5, Duckophile, e-flat and 2 others like this.
  3. cocoune

cocoune

Jan 28, 2012
    Well honestly i feel that the chrome are a little bit sloppy. Not much tension. Im kind of afraid to buy the set you are talking about because you say it has less tension. But in the same place the regular set seem so big... Im scared of how it feels on my hand. I don't it would be to much tension tho. I will email GHS too !

lowplaces and jmattbassplaya like this.
  4. Then try the La Bella 760FL (43-60-82-104). Similar gauges to the GHS, but stiffer.

5. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    If you think the Chromes are sloppy, stay away from TI Jazz Flats. They felt like rubber bands under my fingers. I personally love the tension of Chromes. Not super stiff, but stiff enough to let me have low-ish action but still be able to really dig in when I want without the buzz/fret noise.

I've never used them, but aren't the Fender flaxwounds higher tension, or get yourself some of the LaBella Jamerson flats. I hear they are like cables!

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Labella 760M is the flat you are looking for, I believe you will happy with it string tension all the time.

jumbodbassman likes this.
  7. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I agree, these are really nice. You could also try the same gauge in LaBella black nylon tapewound - very mellow sounding strings.

8. Member8675309

Member8675309 Inactive

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I never thought of Chromes as being sloppy, and I like a fairly high tensioned string.

La Bella’s seem like they might suite you. They have a .49-.109 set that sounded beautiful on my SG, then I went string hunting for whatever reason. Wish I had kept them. But, they’re tight, not sloppy, and are solidly in the old school ball park of bass strings just like GHS. I’ve tried every gauge of La Bella’s for that bass, even their half rounds before they were discontinued. The .49 is stout, but will give a nice fat pull if needed.

9. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Not to mention, personal experience (but I have seen it shared around here), Labella 760M (and 760L) along with Sadowsky Black Label flats seem to really work well on a Jazz (your Jaco bass reference) ...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    armybass likes this.
  10. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Definitely LaBellas for jazz on an electric bass IMO, no matter the gauge. All their gauges sound the same except for the jamerson, the really thick one due to a different formula in the making of them.
    On every bass I've put them on, it's *the* vintage sound.
    GHS to my ears is a lot more dry and clanky to my ears after breaking in, and much rougher to the texture.
    You can get both LaBellas and GHS in custom gauges, so good luck experimenting!

For keeping it old-school but still versatile I use Fender CL flats on my jazz bass, they sound much brighter and ''growlier' when broken in compared to the LaBellas, but it's what I used to play jazz on an electric for the greatest mix of definition and matching the bass with a particuliar string while still getting some ''thump'', for some years. Nowadays I only play double bass for jazz.

Tapewounds are a lot brighter than LaBellas, and have a very different sound, look up a lot of videos and comparisons on youtube!

e-flat and armybass like this.
  11. cocoune

cocoune

Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks guys. I wanted the GHS for the sound. I heard that it has a more mid focus sound a little more punch there. Its an hard choice... Maybe ill switch for labellas but im scare its a bit muddy with less definition.. Do you have other comments on the fender ones ?

12. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Get the 55 to 105 set. It's not elevator cable stiffness, but they're definitely not wet noodles. And you got the tone you're looking for.

GHS 3050 Precision Flats Stainless Steel Electric Bass 55-105

Shipping to both the US and Canada is dirt cheap.

Linnin likes this.
  13. cocoune

cocoune

Jan 28, 2012
    OK and (yea i have alot of question) if i go with the bellas, should i take 760m or 760fm ? Do i need to enlarge where the string is on the nut ? I also heard that you can have some problems at the bridge with intonation. Bellas seems a safe choice. I guess both are.

14. cocoune

cocoune

Jan 28, 2012
    Maybe i can be more specific. I want a good walking bass sound, but want to cut as shag when i blow. How ppl describe my sound is that it really cut trought the mix. I play modern music too but with a vintage sound and nobody cares. Thats why i want the best sound for jazz. That sound can go anywhere. For me modern sound bass is a scam. I used to have neck pup akwardly lower than j. The big problem i have with chromes (the only flats i tried) is that its clanky with not enough mid. I have to roll off my tone but when the highs i dont like disapears but i lost to much definition. Well chrome sound scoop. And dont really like a scoop sound.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    You read my mind. Here's what I was going to suggest: D'Addario Black Nylon Tapewounds. The ones I use are 50 - 105. I have them on several basses, both fretless and fretted and they sound awesome, IMO.
    IMG_1006.jpg

16. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    does jazz require flats .. ??

i prefer the ' middle of the road ' GHS Pressurewounds ... or any more Oval outer wrap shaped roller wound string ..

17. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Hey man, If you like GHS flats, then I would suggest the .105 - .045 Precision flats set.
    Products - BASS PRECISION FLATS™ - GHS.
    They should provide the smooth thump, and stiffness you're after without putting too much tension on that J bass neck. Alternately you could order a set of LaBella 760FS Flats (.105 - .045) and and see how those are. I played a set of LaBella 760FL (.104 - .043) on my Jazz for years and the 760FS set is slightly stiffer as well as thicker. I know a lot of guys put heavier strings on their Jazzes but that heavy tension on a skinny neck just stresses me out man! :cool:

nerkoids likes this.
  18. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    I think Tapewounds are going to feel too sloppy to you if you are finding Chromes a little loose, Tapewounds are usually extra light gauge roundwounds with nylon tape over the top of them so they are usually very low tension

19. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts I like bass. And airplanes. Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Labella either 45-105 or 43-104. They will give you that sound. I prefer them because they are polished as smooth as glass. I have had GHS flats that were on the tacky, rough side.

20. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    GHS Precision Flats in Heavy Gage. Try 'em. Nice and tight and nice and thumpy without being muddy.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021