1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LaBella Flatwounds VS Pyramid Flatwounds ..for my new Harmony H22/1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soma89, Aug 3, 2007.

1. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    So, i finally got my bass off ebay..a Vintage Harmony H22/1 Hollow Bass.

Unfortunetly, its coming with GHS Boomer Roundwounds (i was hoping for flats) so now I wanna put some flats on it but i dont know which ones to get.

In Canada, LaBella's are about $55 CAN and Pyramid's cost about $70 bucks. I want something good, that does the best for tone, and staying in tune. These are the first pack of flatwounds I'm getting, so I'm not all that experienced.

Also, someone suggested that i should get a setup with it too, so I might do that, just for playability purposes.

Anyways, should I get LaBella's, Pyramids, or do i even have to spend that much on strings and stick to mediocre ones??
    I need to get strings that are low tension because i heard the old headstocks are very sensitive to high tension (hopefully the GHS Boomers didnt do any damage). And this thing has a 30' scale but the bridge is pretty low so i dunno anything about the longscale-shortscale thing on it.

2. I quite like the sadowsky and ernie ball flats. The EBs have a bit more meat to them, more traditional flat sound, the sadowskys have a nicer high end.

(Sadowskys are made by LaBella, but to specs by sadowsky)

3. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    This may not help you in Can, but Carvin has great flats. Not sure where they get them, but LaBella is one of the names I have heard...

Billy-Bob

4. hoosierdad

hoosierdad

Sep 1, 2003
    Indiana
    I use Fender Flatwounds on my PBass and JBass. You need to be cautious - if your Harmony has the original Kluson tuners - I believe that most Flatwounds won't fit through the tuning posts. Pyramid's might. I would ask before the purchase.

5. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    D'Adarrio ECB80 and Thomastik-Infeld JF344 are my strings of choice. The ECB81 are just a bit heavier, you may prefer those. For tapewounds, I can also recommend GHS 3060.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    As to the original question: I have not had much experience with labellas but can report the best experiences with pyramid. I've tried a number of strings and they were very happy to make me what it was I was after.
    Extremely highly recommended.
    I also recommend doing your own set up. It's not rocket science and an easy place to save some money.
    In my experience a good setup takes two days. The initial set up , followed by acommodatin for the bass "adjusting" to the adjustments made by the setup person.

7. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I have basses with EBs, D'Addario Chromes & Dogals. I like the Dogals best, but all these will work just fine.

8. If you're worried about tension, then the Thomastik Infeld (TI's) are going to give you low tension, and a decent sounding flat. On a hollowbody, I would imagine there would be plenty of booty. TI's are typically known for a midrangy sound, but I think they'll thump good on your new bass. After you work them in for awhile they do get better yet (about a year for mine)

My favorites for tone thus far are Labella's. try the lighter guages, very thumpy, and even a bright top for a flat. very nice tone but more tension than the TI's for sure. I'm using the 760FL's

Those are the 2 sets I currently use and like. Fenders and chromes have High tension, but you can get a light guage Chrome to combat that a little, that's basically what I'm doing with the laballas. I think the pyramids are supposed to have less tension, but I'm not familiar with that string.

Hope I helped a little:)

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    GHS-Percision Flats. 95-40.
    Fender Flats 95-40.

You want the lightest gauge string for the Harmony H22/1
    Heavy flats don't work well on that bass.

10. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    I would do the TI's if the short scale were not an issue. Would the LaBella Beatle bass set work? GHS Precision Flats woule be great too. I like those best of the more affordable flats.

11. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I've tried both LaBellas and Pyramids on my Hofner. In addition to a few others. It's funny you mention those two, because I had a hard time deciding between them too. In the end, I went with Pyramids. I don't think you can go wrong with either though.

12. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I've had very good experiences with Pyramid flats on both my Hofner 5000/1 and EBMM Sting Ray. I may experiment different brands on the SR in the future, but I'll stick with Pyramids for the Hof.

13. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I installed Pyramid Golds on my Rogue violin bass (Hofner knock-off), which is a fine bass, especially for the money. Sounds like the 60's to me. Not a cheap set of strings, but how often do you have to replace bass strings? Nickel outer wrap, if it matters.

Good luck in your search.

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Gotta have pics!

Also, two thoughts:

As I am a geezer, I played a number of (then fairly new) hollow and solid Harmony basses between '63 and '66 (four or five). Every single one had roundwounds on them. I think maybe they were sold with rounds. :confused:

D'Addario XL chromes are a very good low tension flat. I like TI's, too, but don't know about the scale length issues. :bassist:

15. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    thanks a lot for your input guys.

My friend was telling me about Rotosound Tru Bass strings and i'm liking the sound of them too.

I heard that Pyramids have a dead E String, any experience with that?

16. jbutler1982

jbutler1982

Jul 15, 2007
    I use LaBella '54s. They are monsters and it took me a few months to get my hand strength to the point where I could play them as well as "regular" bass strings. They are so thick they throw off your whole setup (as was discussed in another thread).

However, if you are willing to put up with the hassle, they are flat-out the best sounding strings I have ever used or heard.

-John

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003

18. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I prefer the La Bella 760FL's which are medium tension and very smooth and I would think they would be a good choice for a Kay short scale. The Pyramids are really interesting strings as well but I didn't care for the extremely short decay as in the nanosecond of sustain that they delivered on an old short scale bass that I played years ago. The bass might have had a lot to do with it but I think that the strings had a part too. I guess this just adds to the Pyramid's "charm". Just my 2 cents.

George

19. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

Never happened with mine.

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I have never had a problem with dead E's either. At least not with Pyramid strings.
    I really like them a lot.:hyper: