1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Labella Gold/White Nylon Tapewound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RyanKW, Jan 16, 2017.

1. RyanKW

RyanKW

Jul 1, 2015
    Finally put these things on one of my basses with a new setup. I love em. Made a couple short videos.

Oddly, ZenG and 40Hz like this.
  2. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    They are really nice strings on the right bass. I love the feel and tone when I used them on my Ibanez Basses.

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I prefer their copper-white set over the gold personally. One of my absolute favorite bass strings. But you're right. LaBella white nylons are some of the best strings to come out in a very long time.

campbems likes this.
  4. RyanKW

RyanKW

Jul 1, 2015
    Oh yeah. The bass I'm using is a mid 90s Yamaha BBG4 with a DIY burnt refinish job and Fender Super 55 pups.

campbems likes this.
  5. RyanKW

RyanKW

Jul 1, 2015
    I may try the coppers on my MIA P-J

6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

They sound phenomenal on a PB. That's what I've got them on along with an active VM Jag Special. They range from a warm jazzy vibe to a mellower (i.e. non-clangy) prog sound with all local stops in between. I like a generally smooth and rich bass sound with a lot of interesting mids - and the coppers get me there. If that's your thing, you'll love 'em.

7. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Yes the Copper Tapes are my favorite. I used them for a long time on my Ibanez 1605 bass and they sounded as good as any string I've ever tried.

8. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Mesa Engineering! Warwick-G&L-Source Audio Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    NoCal
    i love these strings. (white tapes) i have not tried the gold or copper, but was a black tapes fan for a long time.
    the only bass currently strung with them right now is my 6 string Mottola Jazz.
    feel wonderful, brighter than flats, more harmonic content, without finger noise or"zing" overtones.
    they slap (what little I do) well.

9. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    Hey there...I just put a copper white tapewound set on my Pedulla, and I noticed that the silk at the bridge extends over the saddles. Is this a problem? It seems almost the same material as the 'tape', and I don't hear any problems.

Feels and sounds really nice.

Afbeelding%20van%20Tjarko%20Busink.

10. I just put my set of Coppers back on my Schecter after a stint with EB Cobalt Flats. I can’t believe I ever took these things off! Love that tapewound goodness.

11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Mesa Engineering! Warwick-G&L-Source Audio Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    NoCal
    My Dano Long horn wears gold white tapes.
    I'm trying white tapes on my Warwick.

12. MandoRobbieJ

MandoRobbieJ

Jul 25, 2017
    Just to add to the discussion by saying they work very well on acoustic basses. I have a heavy set in my custom Brook bass, and they give a very nice double bass feel and sound.

Robbie

13. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    It is not a "problem" and wont affect tone.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  14. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    Yeah, I noticed that too. I moved the set to my Pentabuzz. It's glorious on a fretless. :)

4StringTheorist likes this.
  15. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    White Tapes are my favorite all-time string (tied with TIs). The only issue I have is that tapewound buzz, or I'd have them on everything. :(

16. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Waiting on my first ever set of tapes.. White coppers for my fretless. I'm excited. :)

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  17. ZenG

ZenG

Dec 13, 2013
    Near the fridge
    Just put the White Copper tapes back on my Mikro after a stint with roundwounds.

That tone you achieved in the second video is the exact tone I'm looking for on one particular longscale bass I have.

Going to order a set of those.

Thanks for posting....:thumbsup:

18. mikewalker

mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Buzz as in "no string ground"? I've been migrating all of my basses to EMGs, for exactly that purpose...

19. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Bingo. Tapes negate the bridge ground and cause hum. EMGs will fix it and sound fantastic with tapes. I back your play.

20. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Not all basses react the same... its weird... If you can run Elixirs, or DR coated strings for example, the tapewounds won't buzz either.