Labella Hard Rockin' Steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Luckydog, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I had several sets of these sitting in my drawer from way back. I had bought them to use on my Sadowsky, then sold the Sadowsky, and gravitated toward nickel strings on my jazz. Ladt night I was looking through the drawer, saw these and thought.."maybe I'll try these again". Strung up my jazz and plugged in. Hoo boy, I was floored by the depth and articulation of these babies. I recall that part of the reason I had lost interest in SS strings was the feel...a little too rough for my taste. But last night I didn't notice that these were uncomfortably rough. I think I'm liking these strings again. Definitely more punch, more lows, than the nickel sets I've been using. And they seem very very balanced both in volume and tone. They also seem to have much more output. I'll see how they do this weekend through the big rig. Anyone else have good experience with these Labellas? I gotta revisit that drawer more often.
  2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Labella Hard Rockin' Steels are the best strings I can find here. I like DR Hi Beams more, but nobody brings them here and it's a bit expensive to buy them online because of customs and shipping. I've found D'addario Prisms here and I've been curious to try them, but only found 4-string sets.

To me, the quality of a roundwound string is measured in terms of its durability. I think that, when fresh, all strings sound good, but for how long? That's why I prefer steels over nickels. D'addario XLs are very popular in my town, but I hate them because they die too fast. And yes, Hard Rockin' Steels are a bit rough, but I got used to them easily.

BTW, I think that good guitar makers are not good string makers, so I don't trust Fender, Gibson, Carvin, Smith, Yamaha and similar strings. I trust dedicated string makers like LaBella, DR, Dean Markley, GHS, Rotosound or D'addario. Maybe somebody can confirm or deny that "myth" I created?
  3. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have the Labella Hard Rockin Steel strings on one of my Basses.I am a DR High beam user,but I really like the labellas
    I got a bunch free back in 1991 and put a set on in 1994
    and they are still on there,now granted I only play that Bass
    a few times a year,but I love the tone.I still have some new in the package,I wonder if there still good ? The Rotosound
    rep I met once told me strings have a shelf life of 3 years.
    I am not going to throw them away cause there old,I will
    put a set on another Bass someday and see how they are.
  4. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Holy cow I just put these on a warwick FNA and they kill!
  5. I remember when I tried out piccolo tuning, I got the tenor set (i like heavy string setups) and tuned it close to where I wanted reminded me of how blink 182 bass tracks sound through headphones, except just through a really big was awesome
  6. malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    After I started using these a few years back I have not even tried any other strings. They are now a very important part of my sound. Great strings. If you use the lighter guages, you can get them for a lot less money by going to the Carvin website and buying the stainless steel strings. They are exactly the same as the Hard Rockin' Steels, but you only have one guage to choose from. It is a good value if you get three or four sets because the shiping cost is a flat $8 no matter howmany you get.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I used them for a few years a while back. Great strings, plenty of zing, great feel.
  8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    You have just mentioned few of the only company that make strings. All others are out source to these company... i.e. Sadowsky's are "Labella's" customized and they are wonderful strings... Smith are customized "GHS" (I may be wrong here). Carvin looks like are also "Labella"... Fbass strings are custom Labella SuperSteps. Roscoeguitars, D'Addario....

And so on...

Just MO, ME ... :D
  9. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Is the 128 B String tapered? And is it as good as the Hard Rockin' B? I find the HRS B to be my favorite. And I prefer the 40-100-128T set. One of the few sets of light gauge that does not sound thin to me.

10. I've had great luck with the Hard Rockin' Steels set made for DGCF tuning. The tension is perfect. I put them on a bass that had only seen standard tuning, and I didn't have to make any adjustments. And, for stainless steels, they are very easy on the fingers.
  11. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    It's been at least a dozen years since I've used Hard Rockin' Steels. Can any of you compare them with Rotos for me? I have one bass in particular I'd like to try stainless rounds on (instead of my usual nickel rounds) but I want more bottom than Rotos have, and a smoother surface.
  12. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I like the LaBella HRS 5-string set on my Sadowsky and think that the tapered B is great. The Sadowsky strings are similar but I prefer the Labellas.
  13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Definately one of my favorite string sets for a 5 string. Great feel and a thick, deep, yet balanced and crisp tone. The low-B is one of the very best I've used.
  14. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
  15. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    97465 in Diane?
  16. As in Don Adams playing Maxwell Smart! One of the most classic lines from that show ever.

Craw, you'll never know how cool I think it is that you led me to a wav file of that. Deeply appreciated!! And a good friend of mine will split laughing!!

Sorry for the off topic...
  17. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Just got an e-mail from a Kristofer Harrington at Carvin, who stated that the stainless 5 strg set comes with a Tapered E and B sting. It's been awhile since I've tried them. $13 a set, I'd buy a case!
  18. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    The HRS are one of the best (in regards to tone and articulation and durability)!!!...and I have compared these to the SS offerings of DRs, Rotos and GHS which I also had preferred in past lives;-)
  19. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    whacker, glad to be of service. ;)

Now...what makes anyone think LaBella makes Carvin brand strings? Carvin refuses to say who makes them and LaBella doesn't disclose client names. Just because they carry LaBella tapewounds doesn't mean LaBella makes their private label strings. And even if LaBella does make them, that wouldn't mean they're the same strings as the Hard Rockin' Steels.