1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LaBella Hard Rockin Steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EZ9R, Apr 14, 2009.

1. EZ9R

EZ9R

Oct 28, 2008
    I just bought a set of LaBella Hard Rockin Steel (4 string set). I use to use these strings on my Ken Smith 5 string 3-4 years ago.
    My question is: Are they making these different. They use to have a Tapered B and E string, but this 4 string set didn't have a tapered E string as in the past..
    They feel different and sound more punchier. Even the black silk winding looks different. I had a set of DR Fat Beams on my Jazz bass and these Labella's sounds way more brighter.
    Just curious if they're using a new method of making these strings. They use to have kind of a QC issue where one string would be dead, but this set are about as bright as D'Addario Prosteel but with more punch.

2. spellcaster

spellcaster Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2007
    NY-DC
    I'm interested in these as well but have not used them in the past to comment.
    Would like to hear how these sound vs. with the Sadowsky Blues.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I used to play the 42B set all the time (40-100-128T). I then tried a set of 45B (45-105-128T). The E was thuddy as hell and was not tapered. The untapered 100 B was a lot better. But I really like these strings especially the B. So I just threw on a set of tapered Pedulla steels 45-65T-85T-105T-128T, problem solved. Very consistent and punchy. These are the same strings with tapers. I missed the La Bella B a lot. Based on my experience with the lighter gauge set, they last a while. And they never got to that anemic worn out steel state where you get nothing but indistinct highs.

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I have no idea why they thought going to a nontapered E was a good idea. I love the tapered HRS strings to the point where I've thought about ordering a custom set with tapered EADG. If some of you guys wanted to get in on that we could split up the 12 set minimum custom order.

The nontapered 105 E is a thud monster.

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Hey Dave,

I am ready to go that way especially if there is some savings. Just Strings does the Pedullas for about $32 a set plus shipping.

6. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I noticed the non-tapered E right away on the last sets I bought. I use HRS on my Warwick SSII and now I need to pinch the E string with needle nose pliers to get it to fit the Warwick bridge. That said, I still like the HRS for my SSII.

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm talking to a dealer about getting a smaller order done on tapered sets ... will let you guys know what I hear.

8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I just played a gospel service with the Pedullas 45-65T-85T-105-128T. I was thinking they may not be as warm as the Sadowsky Blue Nickels I have been playing. The Pedullas sounded great to my ears with the added bonus of low end clarity that makes those low notes fun to play. It took a little bit of messing around with the VTC and the blend pot to find the sweet spot but man I was digging it today.

9. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    What did you do about the HRS? These have been my fav SS rounds for years. Did you find someone to make sets with tapered E?

Thx,
    Luckydog

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm using Pedulla Steels when I want that vibe now. They are great, I prefer the taper stings, so I like having all tapered ...

11. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I used to use pedulla SS back in early 90s. I cant recall how they are other than pretty bright. Can you characterize them particularly in how they compare to HRS?

12. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    100% exactly the same, only BEAD are tapered.

13. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Thx pickles, i'll have to pick up another set

14. I've just tried these strings and I can say for sure - they're awesome!!!
    On my passive jazz I tried almost every brand to achieve those famous "bark and growl" - D'Addario ProSteels and Nickel XL, Elixir Nanoweb Nickel, DR Nickel Lo-Rider, Dean Markley Helix NPS... But trey don't stand even close to La Bella Hard Rockin Steel! So much clarity, very tight and full sounding E string, perfect balanced set (I bought old M45 in orange package), chords are very well-defined, I can easily hear each note even in upper register. Slap and fingerstyle - all sounds just brilliant! These strings really surprised me! And, surprisingly, they have very smooth surface for SS (even smoother than nickel DR Lo-Riders) and very easy on my fingers. Now La Bella HRS are my to-go strings!

15. catgut

catgut

Jan 15, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Same here after many years of searching to replace Hi-Beams. Just recorded an EP with a 3 week old set and it turned out fantastic. Just the right dull bright bark. Sits in the mix really well with my current rig. Not THE string yet but a frontrunner. I need to go through a few more sets for QC understanding.

16. I bought an old package, but there is a new one, called "La Bella Stainless steel". Code is the same, M45. I just wonder, if it's any difference between those two sets! I still have planty of old "orange" packages in my local music store by the way!

17. catgut

catgut

Jan 15, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Mine are the M45 Steels but that is also a gauge indicator. M42's are lighter but same string I have not seen the older name for a while in the Pac NW. Difference is no tapered E, A, D string and black silk is gone. But they altered style over the years. I am a bit bummed on the silk detail. Don't care if tapered or not. I did used to break them at the bridge when I used Will Lee sig set. So bad taste in my mouth but could just be my experience. The string otherwise is the same.

18. jcerio

jcerio Gold Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I like the M44 Set. 40-58-70-102. I don't know why but those gauges just seem to sound and feel right to me. I thought they were gone when they changed from HRS to SS but I found them on juststrings.com. on my next buy, I'll be asking if I can get them from BSO, though.

19. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    If La Bella makes it we can get it!

That number is not in their current catalog so I will check into this for you now...

20. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Bad news the M44 set 40-102 is discontinued.

La Bella does make everything to order... This is the first time I have seen that set mentioned in a couple of years, so really unless you are interested in some quantity it might not happen...