1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LaBella HRS untapered E ..........

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mbrancalion, Oct 30, 2010.

1. I cannot believe.......

About 2 years ago i ordered some HRS sets for 5 strings ........
    6 months ago i put a set, on a bass ....... I have it here......
    The B and E are tapered.......

Now i just put on one of the remaing sets on another bass.........
    ..... and the E is untapered !!!!!!!

I found this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535630, where people were talking about this ......

This untapered E is absolutely not like the other surrounding strings. Its harmonics are more out of tune than the tapered B it the same set, and surely more than the tapered E in the other bass ..........
    I can't read any mention of this in their website ....

I'm wondering what all of these issues with E strings, at LaBella, come from !
    This is the thread where i was asking for help for communicating with LaBella men: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692740
    Eric Cocco, from La Bella, said he sent me some replacements for Supersteps E faulty strings ........ I heard from him some days ago, last time .......

I decided to put some trust, again, into their strings........... But this fact of this untapered (and unmatching) string hit me .......
    I'm sad, because i like the sound of LaBella strings........ but i don't know what to think anymore....... Sincerely, i'm tired ......

Why is this? Anyone knows the reason of this different-made E ? ........

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Dunno why they decided to change. But IME the tapered string never sounds the same as non-tapers mixed in the same set.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That untapered 105 is a thud monster. Awful. Yes the E and A used to sound different on the HRS set, but they went the wrong way when solving that. Go with Pedulla steels. Same as HRS, but all tapered, way better.

4. I read about Pedulla strings......
    But i still haven't found a convenient way to buy them in italy........

I'm used to buy stuff from europe .... but it's awful to buy online overseas, from outside europe.......
    For start, we have an added 25% fixed calculated on the value, in the price.......

If anyone knows an online store in europe community where i can buy Pedulla strings, i'd be very happy to do it ........

(Thanks for the reply..... it confirmed my doubts ... )

5. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    You think those are the same as Super Steps? In terms of tone, how close are Super Steps to HRS?

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    No. Super steps are exposed core, not taper wound, and are totally different. Closer to a dean markley SR2000 than to HRS. Pedulla stainless and HRS I think are exactly the same but the pedullas are all tapered.

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    aha... thanks pickle!

8. The Supersteps have a different sound..........
    I quite like them, aside when, as sometimes happened to me (included recently), i found some faulty strings (always E strings)........

They have less lows and are more "sproingy" .....

9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yeah that's a good word for super steps.