Labella Jamerson flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Crash Course, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Does anyone have any input one the Labella Jamerson set. If any one uses them, do you know where I can get a good price on them to try them. And, if anyone lives in DFW and knows where to get them locally, let me know.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    First, they're huge, and have massively high tension. You probably knew that. I used them for a while on a P-clone bass, but had trouble with my left hand cramping. Pretty bright for flats, but also deep and thumpy.

3. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    unless you've tried the Jamersons, you might want to back off and go for the Deep Talkin Flats. Same character to me and very high quality. If you can adjust to the Jamersons, you must have King Kong hands.
  4. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC

This is my 1st post here on TB, so Hi!

I've got Jamersons on my P-bass and love them, they sound huge. They are huge and stiff and if you're used to digging in they might not be great for you, as you'll probably make your plucking hand sore. I use a very light touch and use my amp to get a hot tone (I either turn the gain all the way up or, more recently, I turn the master all the way up and adjust the volume from the gian control). Jamerson himself, actually used a really light touch. If you watch the "Standing in the Shadow of Motown" movie there's footage of Jamerrson playing and his finger just grazes the strings, his hand looked really relaxed. On the other hand, Duck Dunn, who also uses the Jamersons him self has been known to pluck so forcefully that he ocasionaly pulls his bass out of tune.

I do have to mention that I am a big guy with big hands, so my "light touch" might be different from yours :)

~Paul :)
  5. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Are they more high-tension than Fender 9050Ms?

As far as I know, those are supposed to be the highest tension flats anywhere.
  6. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    I really can't imagine anything being higher tension than the Jamersons (though I've never tried the Fenders), they have pretty much NO give at all (try poping a string, it hurts :)). They are big around but also have a poroportionaly larger core wire than even the regular Labella flats. My bass tyeacher refers to the Jamersons as tree-trunks, I call 'em bridge-cables. Persoanly I love that stiff feel, as it makes me feel more in control and I don't have to worry as much about the ocasional over zealous pluck. It's really hard to get an abrupt "boink" out of these strings.

I think most bass players have a tendency to dig in too hard with both hands. Most tend to pluck a bit harder than they need to and most fret much harder than they need to, this increases with heavier strings, but it's unecesary. You don't realy need to pluck harder or fret harder with heavier strings. The trick is to teach your hands to do the minimum, rather than the maximum, keep them relaxed and loose and ever the Jamersons shoulnd't wear you out. Again, it's an electric instrument, let the amp do the work and keep you touch light. It's funny, even the pro's who say they play really hard, usually have a much lighter touch than most kitchen-variety palyers (like me).

~Paul :)
  7. Thanks for all the info guys. I think I might go with something a little less stiff. I've used Rotosound Jazz Bass 77's in the past and will probably go back to them.

Again, Thanks.
  8. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Dude Barr had a few custom sets of LaBella Flats and they were basically uber-Jamersons. I think that the E was .112 or something. I had them on my bass for about a week and it sounded incredible, but my hands were killing me. They are the anti-thomastiks :help:

However, If I had a set of them and a bass that I could dedicate to them then I know that I could get a nice sounding setup and minimize the force I need to play them. But as a TI Jazz Flats addict they were so far at the other end of the spectrum that I had to give them up.
  9. larry j

larry j

Jul 28, 2005
    Orlando Fl.
    I have had the same set on my now semi retired 65 P for about 12 years. The older they get, the better they sound. At one point I put on a new set, but quickly took them off and put the old ones back on. The dullness is key to their mojo. I used this bass almost exclusively for about 6 or7 years. The P has the wide "C" neck. It is not the most user friendly bass, but it made me certainly play the important notes, the best notes. I had to pay attention because the bass and strings were not going to let me get away with anything, similer to playing upright, every note has to count. I slapped on them with no problem, but I like dead strings anyway and my popped d ang g strings are usually short sounding. My current strings are year old Fender 7250L, the g is brighter so I put tape around the string by the bridge to mute it. Using the La Bellas made me a better player in the long run. But I never sounded like James(LOL)
  10. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    IME, there's not much difference. Those 9050M's are like solid steel bars. I've used both, but I haven't A/B'ed them. I really liked the sound of the big Fenders a lot.
  11. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've used TI's, Fenders, and Chromes. TI are great for a more modern flat sound, and Fender for an old thumpy sound. But I'm liking the Chromes for being somewhere in the middle of the two strings. They have a great thump sound, and still have alittle bright high end to get alittle nastier sounds out:D
  12. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    If you don't want the thickness and tightness of the Jamerson set, you could try some of the other Deep Talkin' Flats from LaBella: 760FL (43-104 gauge), 760FS (45-105 gauge), or the 760FM (49-109 gauge). I use the 760FL set and like them a lot.
    I get mine from
  13. to add in my .02

after i went to those labellas, i never went back. i also play double bass, so the high tension and thick strings never bothered me. they sound great on my p-bass, with the reisuue '62 pups installed. very thumpy, low end. if you have very good hand strength, and want that classic jamerson/duck dunn sound, these are the strings for you.
  14. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I don't have large hands and the tension was fine when I had 'em - just hated the sound and went back to my RS77s. All of my basses have very high action and thick strings.

I think my P bass is going to start at .125 for my E next time I change strings :)
  15. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    These are my string of choice. Love 'em. I didn't find the JJs any stiffer than the Rotos. I like the way the 77s over time get that "sound" I love. I feel they're broken in at about 6 months :)