1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LaBella jamerson set

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Deaky, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    Hi

Is there any risk in damaging my bass if I use these strings.

I'm intending on using them on a Fender MIA Precision Deluxe.
    Also is there a need to widen the nut or will they fit ok.

Thanks

Deak

2. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would recommend a more standard gauge set of flats. These strings are huge and hard to play if you're not used to them. Work up to these if you wish, but don't start with such a heavy gauge.

3. RFMac

RFMac

Jun 27, 2010
    British Columbia
    Your bass will be fine. I currently have a set on my Am. Std. Precision. I did not have to file the nut or anything so drastic. However, full set up will be required, as with any new set of strings. As said above though they are extremely tense and a heavy gauge. If they do not fit your playing preference you can always move to lighter gauge. Cheers.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    I have these on my 1963 p bass. No problems just thump!

5. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    Excellent I usually play flatwounds anyway but these sound so good.

Has anyone ever had problems intonation after putting them on?

6. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    You might be adjusting your neck more often than you should. The tension is so high, they bow the neck after a while. And if you have sensitive finger tips, it will take some time and pain to get used to them.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

These are wonderful sounding strings, just high tension.
    If you don't mind the tension, no problem.
    Never had a problem with these, with any bass I put them on.

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I've used these for a few years and recently took them off because my hands couldn't take the tension any more. But as far as neck stability, I've had no problems. The neck hardly required any initial adjustment, though the nut slots were a little tight. I didn't find myself adjusting the neck any more than normal either.

9. I put a set on my Nordy vP5 several months ago and love them. I had to adjust the truss rod and bridge a little to accommodate them but have not needed to change anything since. No problems whatsoever.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm a Labella player by preference. I've used the Jamerson set and didn't have a nut problem, but they were way too stiff for my liking. I found them very difficult to play and took them off in about a week.

Unless you really like large gauge, stiff-feeling strings I'd recommend you save your money.

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Actually if you want to try them, I have a used set I'll send you for free. They were on my Bob Glaub for about 6 months before I took them off.

If interested, PM me your address.

12. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    Hi

Thank you for the offer four string but I had already ordered a set when I wrote the post. Really kind of you.

Anyway I have strapped these guys on my Precision and WOW. These sound amazing. So much thump to them. I don't feel them to be too stiff they just feel really comfortable. I'm gonna stick a foam mute at the bridge and see what happens. I strung LaBella 45-105s on my G&L ASAT and I love em too. Think I'm converted to LaBellas forever now.

13. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    lovem!!! i have them on my P-bass
    big boy strings!!!!

14. I've got the Jamerson set on my '78 Precision and love them. No neck problems and a very low action. Thump!

15. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Love them, huge and thumpy.

I did have a problem with them on one P bass, an early Fullerton RI. The neck is very slim front to back, and it bowed a little too much right at the nut even though the rest of the neck was flat. Just watch your neck after a few days and weeks to make sure your truss rod is adjusted and nothing untoward is going on.

The same strings did fine on another P and on my '73 J.

16. I love them but I took them off my P bass and probably won't go back. I just felt like my bass was a little stressed and since it's MIA I try to baby it as much as possible. It may have all been in my head but I feel better after taking them off.

I now use Fender 9050M (55,70,90,105) which I feel share many of the same characteristics but aren't quite as extreme as the Jamerson's. They feel great and my mind is at ease.

I'm not trying to discourage but just letting people know if they feel like I did that the Fenders are a good alternative. I tried smaller gauge Labellas but I like that big meaty feeling of the Jamersons and 9050m's on a P bass. And they're cheap.

17. Works fine, but won't work with a String Thru design, the cloth wrapping around the string at the head for the E string is coming over the nut, and if you're unlucky, the tapering already starts before the string hits the nut.

@Fourstring: If they are really in your way... well... erm... they are really hard to find here in Belgium :D

18. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Labella doesn't recommend them for string-thru because they may break.

Sorry they're already spoken for :)

19. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I've tried this set before on someone else's bass, and they sound great. I'm far too much of a wuss to use them on my own instrument, though.

20. I've had the same set of LaBellas on an American Standard P-Bass for 16 years without issue. They sound great. They are kinda tough on the fingers, so you've gotta man up.