1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LaBella Slappers: Are they back to being tapered?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CapnSev, Sep 28, 2009.

1. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'm at a dilemma as to what to put on my new Fender P5, and was hoping that the LaBella Slappers have the tapered ends again (not just the B). I heard rumors that they were going back to this.

Anybody bought these recently and gotten a tapered set?

2. i bought them recently and they aren't tapered.

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I take it the B is still tapered though?

4. no idea, i bought a 4 string set. sorry man.

5. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
  6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Doh! Should have asked that first huh? :smug:

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Found out that the B is still tapered.

For you guys that use them- how's the tension (and on what gauge)? I want something fairly flexible.

8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    If you want the tapers you can buy Pedullas at Just Strings. These are made by Labella. The steels are a direct match to Hard Rockin' Steels but with tapers on the B, E, and A. I did not like the Hard Rockin' Steels without the taper on the E which led me to Pedulla. For the steels a 100 without a taper was fine but a 105 without the taper was a thud monster.

9. theyre similar to a d'addario nickel. nothing like a DR (wet noodle so floppy) or a flatwound.

10. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    If they made a nickel version, I'd jump at it. I like a pretty mellow string, and I just can't do steels.

11. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    They'll do the B - D string if you want.

12. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    :confused: who, what?

13. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Pedullas can be ordered in nickel or steel. And they do an assortmant of gauges. If the nickels follow the steel trend, they will be the same as the Slappers.

14. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    How's the tension on them? I need something looser than the Fenders that came on the bass. High tension strings really bug my left wrist.

15. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    La Bella, Slappers

16. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    thanks

17. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    As long as you'll buy 12 sets they'll make you whatever you want I think. I'd be into splitting an order 3 or 4 ways if the pricing is right. Steel with tapered B-D is what I want.

18. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    If you like the tapers just buy Pedullas. There a little bit more than HRS or Slappers but not that much. I just threw some Pedulla steels back on my RV5. Man I love those strings. We'll see how it goes on Sunday. I have been using nickels in the Gospel band almost exclusively.

On the other hand if you get the price down low buying 12 at a time, drop me a PM. I may be back in with the steels. I still need to see how they do on Sunday.

I measured the string going past the nut on my RV5. There is about 1 1/8" before the wrap. Meaning if the lengths are consistent batch to batch they should fit a 35" scale thru bridge assuming the bridge is not farther back than what's on the RV5.

19. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Alright alright I'll order a set. $37.32 with shipping. I know these are the best strings made, I used to use them on my Pedullas, I was just being cheap. Its a lot more than $11 for the carvin version, but I want steel, and I want the tapers on E and A in particular.

20. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    On my RV5, I do not like any B string other than the HRS or Slappers or one of the Carvin / Pedulla variants. With any other set of the strings I have to optimize my entire tone pallet just to be a reasonable B. With the La Bellaa 128T, I can adjust pickup pan, EQ, etc and the B sounds good to great in all settings. I think I may be stuck ordering Pedullas or making a bigger order from La Bella. I just can't figure out if I am a nickel or a steel guy. I play one for a while, get bored with it, and then like the change.