1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LaBella stainless on the way- What to expect?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vindibona1, Nov 27, 2018.

1. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I needed to get to the $35 mark at Strings and Beyond to get free shipping while they had their sale going on. I had a set of DR Pure Blues on my Jazz5 for several months that were ok. I was going to switch to D'Addario NYXL's (that I have on my other basses), but saw the LaBella stainless 5's were on sale for $19 less 15% so I bit.

I could have bought the nickel wrapped strings for the same price, but I've never tried stainless strings before and don't know what to expect. I'm asking because I am now debating whether to put them on my jazz bass or my Yamaha TRBX 605. The 605 came with standard D'Addario XL strings and the sound was so blah that I almost sent the bass back. The DR Pure Blues convinced me to keep it. NYXL's were an improvement still. So I'm waffling as to which bass to test the LaBella stainless on.

Any thoughts?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They're a lot like roto steels. Maybe not as bright out of the package but good quality well made strings.

eriky4003 and Root 5 like this.
  3. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    i used them for years. lots of low end and they kind of roll off at the high mids and treble.

trothwell likes this.
  4. Based on my experience with the Yamaha TRBX505, La Bella SS rounds may be a good match to liven it up a bit. The stock humbuckers on the Yamaha tend to be on the dark side, so a good set of SS strings should work well.

5. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I'm still trying to figure out the tonal differences (if any) between the 505 and 605. Other than tonewoods they are identical instruments. Yamaha said they had to "revoice" the 605 because of the maple. As I said the DR's were an improvement, the NYXL's another step better. My jazz 5 has gone the longest without new strings (since April, I think). These Yamaha basses are so darn easy to play, no? I think if I ever found "the sound" on it I might not ever pick up my others :).

6. Yeah, tell me about it...

I spent the whole week last week playing my P bass with flats just because I was in a mood for an old-school vibe. Glad to be back on my Yamaha again, though, as this thing feels so at home now.

Curious about how the La Bella SS will do on your 605. A bass buddy of mine, also a happy 605 owner, tells me he'll be trying out the La Bella RX SS on it. As for me, the GHS Pressurewounds I put on my 505 back in April are still there, but maybe time to try something else in the new year. Thinking of the GHS Round Core Boomers as my next small step toward finding the perfect mate for my Yamaha. (I'm still a long way from trying any SS strings.)

7. I've been using the La Bella SS (M45) on my Gibson Thunderbird for a while now and am very happy with them. I was previously using the Rotosound RS66, but something about these La Bellas seems really special to me. They have most of what I loved from the RS66, but a little fuller-sounding and they seem to last longer. Looking forward to your impressions.

8. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    The LaBella's are in and installed. Put em on my jazz bass 5. I guess they sound like I expected SS strings to sound. The best way I can describe it as that which I would expect on Seinfeld. Very much different than the Pure Blues and a couple steps brighter than NYXL's.

9. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I have a set of La Bella RX stainless steel strings on a Jazz bass now. They feel quite noticeably smoother ( the E string ) than the D'Addario NPS strings on it before. They're bright but not new Roto 66 bright. Nice strings.

10. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    Interesting. I'm finding the LaBella's are a bit rougher than the Pure Blues or NYXL's I've been playing on. Maybe there is something in the metal that makes it more difficult to slide around. I've put a light coat of Finger Ease on the strings to help that.

After letting them settle overnight I played again this morning for a bit. I had to make a small string height adjustment on the A string as it seemed a hair low and created a "rattle" rather than the buzz that you'd get from a nickel string. But I think that's the thing I'm finding most different with the SS strings. They sound they make when contacting the frets sounds sharper and crisper. I'm wondering how they're going to sound in a few weeks?

11. @vindibona1 Do you have any other SS strings to compare these to? I've done a lot of experimenting, but I'm not sure what your frame of reference is in this respect.

12. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I have very little string reference to go by. My experience at present is limited to standad D'Addario XL's, NYXL's, DR Pure Blues... and now LaBella RX/SS. Until this past year I hadn't considered myself a bass player in the same sense as a guitar player, but got bit by the bug when I got hired to play bass in a local musical (largely because I can read). So my bass collection in that time went from a single Squier Jazz Bass (4) increasing in size to include three 5ers and a 6 string in just a few months! This is my first experience with SS strings.

13. Oh, interesting. How did you find the LB SS vs Rx? I've only used the SS, but imagine them similar in sound, but the Rx floppier.

14. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    To be honest finding the strings was an accidental incident. I was on Strings and Beyond needing to get a few sets of DR Sunbeams for my Martin acoustic but didn't want to play shipping and needed $35 minimum order. They had a 15% off sale going at the time. I knew I wanted to have another set of bass strings on-hand and came across the LaBellas Search Results
    It came down to price and I always just wanted to try stainless. $16 for a 5 string set? Why not? La Bella Rx Series Stainless Steel Bass Strings RX-S5D 5 String 45-130 It was a matter of increasing the size of an order and being a cheapskate at the same time :). The Nickels are the same price. La Bella Rx Series Nickel Plated Bass Strings RX-N5D 5 String 45-130 . And here we are.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  15. Oh, you got the Rx, not the Stainless Steel? The Stainless Steel used to be called Hard Rockin' Steel. The new name is terrible because it's so generic.

16. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    la-bella-rx-series-stainless-steel-bass-strings-rx-s5d-5-string-45-130-6.
    These are what I got. I wouldn't know if there was a different name for them. So confusing.

17. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I only noticed an appreciable difference with the E string. The others I thought felt about the same as the D'Addarios. Both are good strings.

18. It really is. These are what I use:

72573f323d2a0c256f3baf798670747b.

19. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Chewed frets time!

20. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    That's encouraging... Please elaborate.